Busoni's "Indian Fantasy"

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Busoni's "Indian Fantasy"

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:01 pm

Ferrucio Busoni’s “ Indian Fantasy “ , a strange work I think I’d heard once before on an old recording, but I suspect not oft performed as here by one of today’s leading pianists. I follow Goerner, thus heard, but this is not a work I connect with ; I also dont connect with the composer’s huge Piano Concerto. But then, Goerner was willing to invest the time to learn the “ Fantasy.” Pity no comment from him on the broadcast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000x0p0 At about 2:02:00 into the broadcast.

Nelson Goerner,pianist, BBC Phil under Neeme Jarvi.

maestrob

Re: Busoni's "Indian Fantasy"

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:36 am

Rach3 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:01 pm
Ferrucio Busoni’s “ Indian Fantasy “ , a strange work I think I’d heard once before on an old recording, but I suspect not oft performed as here by one of today’s leading pianists. I follow Goerner, thus heard, but this is not a work I connect with ; I also dont connect with the composer’s huge Piano Concerto. But then, Goerner was willing to invest the time to learn the “ Fantasy.” Pity no comment from him on the broadcast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000x0p0 At about 2:02:00 into the broadcast.

Nelson Goerner,pianist, BBC Phil under Neeme Jarvi.
I have the same reaction you do to Busoni's sprawling Piano Concerto, Rach3. I've heard John Ogden's much touted recording more than a few times over the years to give it a a chance: it's even 1/2 of his Great Pianists 2CD album, so I have two hard copies. Nevertheless, I'll give this a try.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:45 am

OK.

The "Indian Fantasy" had its moments, but, like the concerto, I found it more than a bit aimless, especially in the run-on sections for piano solo. Glad I heard it, but will not return to the piece.

Thanks, Rach3!

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:11 pm

MaestroB , I've heard the "Indian Fantasy" on youtube not too long ago and found it really interesting ,like Busoni's music in general . I know the sprawling piano concerto much better and think it's a genuine masterpiece , but it's incredibly difficult not only technically but in terms of the endurance required of the pianist , so it isn't heard very often .
Alfred Brendel has called the piano part "monstrously overwritten ", but I have a feeling this may be nothing but sour grapes . H never attempted to play it in public .
Are you familiar with Busoni's fascinating, enigmatic opera "Doctor Faust " , which was left unfinished at his untimely death in 1924 and was completed by his pupil Philip Jarnach ? It's not an opera for everyone, but like so many others, I consider it to be one of the greatest operas of the 20th century .
I first got to know and love it ages ago on LP as a teenager from the DG recording with Fischer-Dieskau in the title role conducted by Ferdinand Leitner . I also have the more recent recording with Kent Nagano and the forces of the opera de Lyon . Fischer-Dieskau's student Dietrich Henschel is Faust on this recording . The are , surprisingly, the only two commercial recordings of the opera which have been made so far . I believe there are some pirated live recordings.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:03 am

Robert, I've had the above recording in my library since it first appeared a bit more than 30 years ago (1989). Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau is immeasurably better than Thomas Hampson was in the MET's production that they mounted for him in 2008. I heard Hampson on the radio, as I was not able to attend live performances then and have not seen the DVD, but Hampson is so full of himself that he puts me off, while Fischer-Dieskau plunged into the character and, I felt, sang his heart out. That's my prejudice, of course, as I've always been put off by Hampson's smirking, egotistical stage presence. He just rubs me the wrong way. He has a brilliant mind, but really!

Busoni's opera is a fine work, but I don't play it often. "Unsingable?" No, not really, but it does wear you down vocally.

Here's the Thomas Hampson DVD:

There's also a more recent version with Dietrich Henschel from opera Lyon that you can stream, and Sir Adrian has a 1959 concert performance from London (w/Fischer Dieskau, Heather Harper & Richard Lewis) recently made available as well;