Comparative recordings of Rachmaninoff’s Paganini Rhapsody

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Comparative recordings of Rachmaninoff’s Paganini Rhapsody

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:29 am

A very insightful program from BBC Radio 3’s Record Review, about 30 minutes in. “Winners” Kapell,Biret,Abduraimov, Trifonov.

Thumbs down to Pletnev, Wild.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000y5ql

maestrob

Re: Comparative recordings of Rachmaninoff’s Paganini Rhapsody

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:32 am

Interesting.

Grew up with Pennario & Rubinstein. Have heard most of the others under discussion, but IIRC, I liked Abduraimov above the other contemporaries I've heard. Must revisit to be sure.

Met Pennario during the 1980's when he stayed at the club for a concert he was giving. A gentleman, of course, and not at all imposing in person. Because he wasn't trained on the East Coast, critics often under-estimated him or didn't quite know how to place him stylistically, but I think he shines and has excellent taste in his RCA recordings. Too bad he had to compete with Rubinstein & Van Cliburn, an unequal contest in the publicity department.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:55 pm

Thanks Steve. Will try to listen today.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:39 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:32 am
Met Pennario during the 1980's when he stayed at the club for a concert he was giving. A gentleman, of course, and not at all imposing in person.
Have seriously considered this 4-cd set , but not purchased yet:

https://tinyurl.com/3xn3za8v

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:29 pm

I just wrote a lengthy piece to respond to this thread ... alas, I waited too long to submit it and thus lost it. I may try again in a day or two. Let it be said I've favoured the three Artur Rubinstein recordings of the piece, Moiseiwitsch, Rachmaninoff (himself), Yuja Wang, Pennario and several others. When one tries to rewrite an original piece, it never comes out the way it first did after thinking about it so carefully, so it is frustrating!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:18 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:29 pm
I just wrote a lengthy piece to respond to this thread ... alas, I waited too long to submit it and thus lost it. I may try again in a day or two. Let it be said I've favoured the three Artur Rubinstein recordings of the piece, Moiseiwitsch, Rachmaninoff (himself), Yuja Wang, Pennario and several others. When one tries to rewrite an original piece, it never comes out the way it first did after thinking about it so carefully, so it is frustrating!
I share your frustration, Lance. This has happened to me once or twice, so now sometimes I compose in Word and then cut/paste the text. This used to happen to JohnF also, IIRC.

I must hear Yuja Wang in this! It's right up her alley!

Pennario also recorded the piece for EMI, a recording which I will hear for the first time today, coupled with Rachmaninoff III. Five stars from Amazon listeners:

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:34 am

Julian von Karolyi playing the Rachmaninoff Rhapsody, studio recording 1952, Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra,Arthur Rother. A very sprightly reading, especially unique in the 18th Variation :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV9JZPkaLL8

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:38 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:39 pm
maestrob wrote:
Met Pennario during the 1980's when he stayed at the club for a concert he was giving. A gentleman, of course, and not at all imposing in person.
Have seriously considered this 4-cd set , but not purchased yet:

https://tinyurl.com/3xn3za8v
That looks interesting. This is now on my shelves and still available for about $42:

The 4CD mono recordings box can be streamed on Spotify as of today.

I'm still working on Fiorentino's Rachmaninoff via the youtube link you posted earlier, with favorable results, of course! 8)

stickles

Post by stickles » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Anyone heard Denis Matsuev's recording of the Rhapsody? I saw him live with Montreal Symphony under Kent Nagano. It was a stupendous performance. Some of the syncopated sections were highlighted to be given a swing like character. It reminded me that when Rachmaninoff wrote this piece, he had already been calling America his home for almost 15 years.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:49 pm

stickles wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 pm
It reminded me that when Rachmaninoff wrote this piece, he had already been calling America his home for almost 15 years.
Per the BBC program, Rachmaninoff said he wrote the work " for American audiences" , and it was premiered in America with Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra.Matsuev plays as a jazz pianist often in his recital encores.

barney

Post by barney » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:19 pm

Terrific program, Steve; thanks for posting. Really interesting comparisons.
I have 20 versions of this work, and Trifonov is probably at the top for me right now. I'm also still very fond of the interpretation in which I first heard it, Martin Tirimo's. Rachmaninov himself is essential, as the Russian expert said, and Rubinstein is always interesting (with Reiner and with Susskind).

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:47 am

Yes, the Matsuev is also a wonderful rendering with Gergiev and the Mariinsky on the Mariinsky Theater Orchestra ... recorded in 2009 on the Mariinsky label. Matsuev has made quite a few fine recordings for the label.
stickles wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:00 pm
Anyone heard Denis Matsuev's recording of the Rhapsody? I saw him live with Montreal Symphony under Kent Nagano. It was a stupendous performance. Some of the syncopated sections were highlighted to be given a swing like character. It reminded me that when Rachmaninoff wrote this piece, he had already been calling America his home for almost 15 years.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:28 pm

maestrob wrote:
Interesting.

Grew up with Pennario & Rubinstein. Have heard most of the others under discussion, but IIRC, I liked Abduraimov above the other contemporaries I've heard. Must revisit to be sure.

Met Pennario during the 1980's when he stayed at the club for a concert he was giving. A gentleman, of course, and not at all imposing in person. Because he wasn't trained on the East Coast, critics often under-estimated him or didn't quite know how to place him stylistically, but I think he shines and has excellent taste in his RCA recordings. Too bad he had to compete with Rubinstein & Van Cliburn, an unequal contest in the publicity department.

That's a damn good Variationes Symphoniques.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham