Pianist Paderewski's own compositions

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Pianist Paderewski's own compositions

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:59 pm

As the note on the new Naxos disc explains of Ignacy Paderewski [1860-1941]: "Although Paderweski is more readily associated with his career as a legendary virtuoso pianist, his modest output of 70 orchestra[, instrumental and vocal works deserves to be more widely known. Prominent among his vocal output is a series of earl songs that reveal natural flowing patterns while exploring both melancholy and folk idioms. The Dance Melodies, written at the end of his compositional career, is the most original and striking Polish set of songs of the period, notable for dissonance, chromaticism and a palette of rich and unusual musical colours, to which this orchestral arrangement adds a whole new dimension. Little known, the early Suite in G Major offers youthful warmth and brio."

That brings us to Naxos [8.579085, 71:19, r.2020] just released, featuring soprano Alina Adamski and mezzo-soprano Agata Schmidt with Capella Bydgostiensis under Mariusz Smolij. These are all world premiere recordings. While I have not yet had an opportunity to audition the disc, it looks entirely inviting and brings me to the next CD.

CPO 555 324, 70:02. Violin Sonatas by Paderewski and Polish composer Zygmung Stojowski (1870-1946). Both Paderewski and Stojowski lived roughly in the same time frame. Paderewski's Violin Sonata in A Minor, Op. 13 is a winner all the way. Being a pianist, Paderewski not surprisingly brings much more virtuosity to the piano part, which is beautifully executed by Piotr Plawner at the piano. The violinist is Piotr Salajczyk. This is, for me, the best recording I've heard of this particular sonata.

The other two works are by Stojowski: Violin Sonta No. 1 in G Major, Op. 13 and the Violin Sonata No. 2 in E Major, Op. 37. The artists are up to the huge job of performing these works. CPO's recording is natural and lifelike and superbly well balanced between piano and violin. In these works, both are equal in their demands.

The CPO disc is highly entertaining - should not music be entertaining to the fullest? I think yes, of course. If you are not familiar with chamber music that comes out of the Romantic period and into the twentieth century, albeit, thoroughly Romantic, you will find this music and performances enlightening. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Pianist Paderewski's own compositions

Post by maestrob » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:35 am

Right up my alley, Lance! Again, many thanks. :D

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:23 pm

Just heard the CPO CD on Spotify. Magnificent! Electrifying, warm & committed playing by both artists.

As you said, a real winner of a disc: Five stars! Many thanks, Lance, for bringing this to our attention! :D

THEHORN

Post by THEHORN » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:14 pm

The Paderewski piano concerto in A minor is an attractive work that deserves to be performed more often . It has been recorded several times, most notably by the late Earl Wild with Arthur Fiedler and the London symphony orchestra, not the Boston Pops , on RCA .

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:27 pm

THEHORN wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:14 pm
The Paderewski piano concerto in A minor is an attractive work that deserves to be performed more often . It has been recorded several times, most notably by the late Earl Wild with Arthur Fiedler and the London symphony orchestra, not the Boston Pops , on RCA .
Agreed.