More than a Myth: Engelberg Humperdinck

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

More than a Myth: Engelberg Humperdinck

Post by Lance » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 pm

I speak of Engelbert Humperdinck (1854-1921), and not the singer of the same name! We all know composer Humperdinck from his great opera, Hansel and Gretel. Hänssler Classic, the fine German label, has issued a CD [21022] entitled More than a Myth: Chamber Music & Songs that gives us a much broader view of the composer. Here we have a number of world premiere recordings as well. So, if you're the exploring type of classical music lover, put this one on your list!

CONTENTS:

Menuet in E flat major for Piano Quintet
Elenora Pertz (piano), Thomas Probst (violin), Ursula Fingerle-Pfeffer (violin), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello)

Das zerbrochene Ringlein, EHWV 43
Nikolay Borchev (baritone), Elenora Pertz (piano)

Salonstück in A minor, EHWV 65
Clara Berger (cello), Elenora Pertz (piano)

Die Wasserrose, EHWV 58
Nicolay Borchev (baritone), Thomas Probst (violine), Susanne Unger (violin), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello), Elenora Pertz (piano)

Vorspiel zu 'Tristan und Isolde', EHWV 192 (After Wagner's WWV 90)
Jörg Ulrich Krah (cello), Karsten Lauke (contrabass), Elenora Pertz (piano), Thomas Probst (violin), Ursula Fingerle-Pfeffer (violin), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello)

Ballade in A Major, EHWV 36
Arr. T. Probst for Chamber Ensemble
Nikolay Borchev (baritone), Thomas Probst (violine), Susanne Unger (violine), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello), Elenora Pertz (piano)

Quartettsatz in E minor, EHWV 22
Thomas Probst (violin), Ursula Fingerle-Pfeffer (violin), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello)

Violin Sonata in A major, EHWV 29
Elenora Pertz (piano), Thomas Probst (violin)

Das Lied vom Glück, EHWV 51

Wiegenlied, EHWV 115
Nikolay Borchev (baritone), Thomas Probst (violine), Susanne Unger (violine), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello), Elenora Pertz (piano), Karsten Lauke (contrabass)

Albumblatt in F Major, EHWV 147

Die wunderschöne Zeit, EHWV 27
Arr. T. Probst for Chamber Ensemble
Thomas Probst, Nikolay Borchev (baritone), Susanne Unger (violine), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello), Elenora Pertz (piano)

Albumblatt in C Major, EHWV 99
Arr. F. Hermann for Violin & Piano

Notturno in G major, EHWV 63
Thomas Probst (violine), Susanne Unger (violine), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello), Ursula Fingerle-Pfeffer (violin)

An die Nachtigall, EHWV 163

Altdeutsches Minnelied, EHWV 161
Nikolay Borchev (baritone), Thomas Probst (violine), Susanne Unger (violine), Daniel Schwartz (viola), Clara Berger (cello), Karsten Lauke (contrabass)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: More than a Myth: Engelberg Humperdinck

Post by barney » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:38 am

Thanks for the tip, Lance

THEHORN

Re: More than a Myth: Engelberg Humperdinck

Post by THEHORN » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Humperdinck'a other opera "Konigskinder " ( the royal children ) deserves to be performed more often , and had its world premiere I believe around 1910 at the Met , with the legendary soprano Geraldine Farrar as the so-called "goose girl " .
It hasn't been revived at the Met at Lincoln center, but it certainly deserves to be .
I became familiar with Konigskinder long ago from the recording conducted by the late Heinz Wahlberg with the Munich radio orchestra ( not the more famous Bavarian RSO ) on LP .
Since then, I've heard a live version on CD conducted by the late Armin Jordan ,leading one of the regional French opera companies ( I forget which one .)
There is also a DVD which I have not seen but very much want to with Jonas Kaufmann as the young prince who falls in love with the orphaned "goose girl " who is actually an orphaned princess .
Unlike Hansel & Gretel, it doesn't end happily ever after . The young couple are the residents of a German town because they don't believe they are actually royalty, and both eventually die .
If you're not familiar with this opera, you should definitely look for one of the recordings on CD . I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much .