Wagner Das Rheingold April 23, 1990 Broadcast / Telecast

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:21 am

Last night we decided to review the Met's 1990 production from their On/Demand-no intermission-we sat there for 2hours and 40 minutes completely caught up in the wonderful production.

Wagner Das Rheingold

From the gorgeous scene deep in the river Rhine that opens the opera, up to the magic Rainbow Bridge that appears at the end, leading to a glistening Valhalla, Otto Schenk’s production captures the scenic world of Wagner’s Ring as brilliantly as James Levine and the Met orchestra capture the musical world. The cast is incomporable: an astounding James Morris as the young god Wotan, the great Christa Ludwig as his wife Fricka, incandescent Siegfried Jerusalem as Loge, the wily god of fire, and Ekkehard Wlaschiha as a complex Alberich.

Performance Date Apr 23, 1990

Run Time 2 HRS 40 MIN

[Met Performance] CID:300090
Das Rheingold {133}
Ring Cycle [92] Uncut. Metropolitan Opera House: 04/23/1990., Broadcast / Telecast

(Broadcast / Telecast)

Metropolitan Opera House
April 23, 1990 Broadcast / Telecast

DAS RHEINGOLD {133}
Der Ring des Nibelungen: Cycle [92] Uncut
Wagner--Wagner

Wotan...................James Morris
Fricka..................Christa Ludwig
Alberich................Ekkehard Wlaschiha
Loge....................Siegfried Jerusalem
Erda....................Birgitta Svendén
Fasolt..................Jan-Hendrik Rootering
Fafner..................Matti Salminen
Freia...................Mari-Anne Häggander
Froh....................Mark (W.) Baker
Donner..................Alan Held
Mime....................Heinz Zednik
Woglinde................Kaaren Erickson
Wellgunde...............Diane Kesling
Flosshilde..............Meredith Parsons (2)

Conductor...............James Levine

Production..............Otto Schenk
Set designer............Günther Schneider-Siemssen
Costume designer........Rolf Langenfass
Lighting designer.......Gil Wechsler
TV Director.............Brian Large

Telecast: Metropolitan Opera Presents

Available for streaming at Met Opera on Demand

maestrob

Re: Wagner Das Rheingold April 23, 1990 Broadcast / Telecast

Post by maestrob » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:12 pm

Len, you just watched my favorite Rheingold on DVD.

James Morris is an ideal Wotan, as is everyone else, each in their own roles. I watch it every year and never get tired of it.

Unfortunately the Siegfried (Siegfried Jerusalem) sang sick for this 1990 broadcast done over four consecutive nights, so sadly I can't watch the Siegfried or the Gotterdammerung. Thus I prefer Barenboim's 1991 Bayreuth DVDs for the two later operas, also with Siegfried Jerusalem, as he sounds magnificent in those.

James Morris though, sounds wonderful throughout, and Hildegard Behrens was an excellent casting choice by Levine.

Incidentally, Eva Marton was originally cast as Brunnhilde for Levine's Ring, but she was replaced after her contract was signed to the consternation of many.

Levine's pacing is spot-on in every bar.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 am

maestrob wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:12 pm
Len, you just watched my favorite Rheingold on DVD....Unfortunately the Siegfried (Siegfried Jerusalem) sang sick for this 1990 broadcast done over four consecutive nights, so sadly I can't watch the Siegfried or the Gotterdammerung.
Brian last night we watched Die Walkurie so we're ready for Siegfried in the future-the Met On Demand has Jerusalem! Regards, Len

Siegfried

Siegfried’s magical world is brilliantly evoked in this Otto Schenk/Günther Schneider-Siemssen production. Our storybook hero (Siegfried Jerusalem) forges his sword, uses it to kill the dragon (marvelous Matti Salminen as Fafner), discovers treasure, and awakens the sleeping Brünnhilde (a powerful Hildegard Behrens), oblivious to the ring of fire that has been protecting her. James Morris, in sumptuous voice, is deeply moving as the Wanderer, the god who cannot stop Siegfried’s destiny.This is James Levine and the Met orchestra at their very best.
Performance Date Apr 26, 1990
Run Time 4 HRS 08 MIN

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 am

lennygoran wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 am
maestrob wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:12 pm
Len, you just watched my favorite Rheingold on DVD....Unfortunately the Siegfried (Siegfried Jerusalem) sang sick for this 1990 broadcast done over four consecutive nights, so sadly I can't watch the Siegfried or the Gotterdammerung.
Brian last night we watched Die Walkurie so we're ready for Siegfried in the future-the Met On Demand has Jerusalem! Regards, Len

Siegfried

Siegfried’s magical world is brilliantly evoked in this Otto Schenk/Günther Schneider-Siemssen production. Our storybook hero (Siegfried Jerusalem) forges his sword, uses it to kill the dragon (marvelous Matti Salminen as Fafner), discovers treasure, and awakens the sleeping Brünnhilde (a powerful Hildegard Behrens), oblivious to the ring of fire that has been protecting her. James Morris, in sumptuous voice, is deeply moving as the Wanderer, the god who cannot stop Siegfried’s destiny.This is James Levine and the Met orchestra at their very best.
Performance Date Apr 26, 1990
Run Time 4 HRS 08 MIN
Don't say I didn't warn you! :wink:

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 am

Don't say I didn't warn you! 😉
Brian I think I misunderstood-I thought you meant he called in sick and missed one performance but you seem to have said he sang sick for this performance and I guess you didn't like what you heard-still I'll probably go ahead with this On Demand production and watch at some point because I want to see how it continues along-it's such a great production so far. Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 am

lennygoran wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:32 am
maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:20 am

Don't say I didn't warn you! 😉
Brian I think I misunderstood-I thought you meant he called in sick and missed one performance but you seem to have said he sang sick for this performance and I guess you didn't like what you heard-still I'll probably go ahead with this On Demand production and watch at some point because I want to see how it continues along-it's such a great production so far. Regards, Len
Right!

He sang wonderfully with Barenboim a year later, but he sang sick for Levine as they couldn't find a last-minute Siegfried replacement, at least that's what I heard at the time.

What I'm saying is, don't judge Siegfried Jerusalem by this one performance.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:44 am

maestrob wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:59 am

What I'm saying is, don't judge Siegfried Jerusalem by this one performance.
Brian thanks-now I get it! Regards, Len