The new Decca Ruggiero Ricci sets ...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

The new Decca Ruggiero Ricci sets ...

Post by Lance » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:28 pm

Regarding, Ruggiero Ricci, I've ordered both the big British Decca set and the 9-CD American Decca set. Amazon was pricey in both cases. Presto more reasonable but a longer wait from FedEx due to the upsurge in packages across the pond. I am always eager to have anything by Ricci. His Sarasate disc on American Decca with pianist Brooks Smith, IMHO, is the finest recording of those pieces I ever heard. Ricci recorded prolifically for British Decca, American Decca, EMI and DG (not so much), Biddulph, Dynamic, Etcetera, Hanssler, Hungaroton, One-Eleven, Rhine, Vox, and other labels contain his work such as Regis, Reference Recordings, Membran/Intense, Price-Less, Scribendum and Unicom. Ricci left us a veritable fortune in his music-making.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Re: The new Decca Ruggiero Ricci sets ...

Post by barney » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:29 pm

As I said on the Markevitch thread, I have both these sets Lance. They are still in their cellophane. Life is just too short. But I too admire Ricci, and am looking forward to playing them.

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:47 am

Hi both,
as I said on the Markevitch thread, I rate his Sarasate just as highly as you do. The Glory of Cremona set has never been widely issued on CD and currently sells at ridiculous prices so is very welcome and the Bravura set is new to CD.
All in all, most of the 'British' Ricci box has been available before in a mish-mash of overlapping CD sets but the American set is particularly welcome.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:48 am

mikealdren wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:47 am
Hi both,
as I said on the Markevitch thread, I rate his Sarasate just as highly as you do. The Glory of Cremona set has never been widely issued on CD and currently sells at ridiculous prices so is very welcome and the Bravura set is new to CD.
All in all, most of the 'British' Ricci box has been available before in a mish-mash of overlapping CD sets but the American set is particularly welcome.
Mike, thanks for mentioning these. I'll be ordering them after the holidays for sure. :D

As for Legacy of Cremona, are you aware that this edition exists for about $20?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:28 pm

Big surprise today ... FedEx delivered these two marvelous Ricci boxed sets. Superb productions ... outstanding booklet notes with good insights into the violinist himself. Already involved in the American Decca Sarasate disc ... still as stunning and musically exciting as I remembered from the LP!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:50 am

maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:48 am
mikealdren wrote:
Hi both,
Mike, thanks for mentioning these. I'll be ordering them after the holidays for sure. :D

Hi Brian,
the 'Legacy of Cremona' is a sort of follow up to the 'Glory of Cremona' on modern instruments rather than the great classical instruments of the earlier release, also, sadly, Ricci was no longer the fine player he had been. He made quite a few recordings in his old age that don't serve his memory well.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:01 am

mikealdren wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:50 am
maestrob wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:48 am
mikealdren wrote:
Hi both,

Hi Brian,
the 'Legacy of Cremona' is a sort of follow up to the 'Glory of Cremona' on modern instruments rather than the great classical instruments of the earlier release, also, sadly, Ricci was no longer the fine player he had been. He made quite a few recordings in his old age that don't serve his memory well.
I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Sadly, Isaac Stern had the same problem in his Carnegie performances at the end of his career. Happily, none have been issued on CD that I know of.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:56 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:28 pm
Big surprise today ... FedEx delivered these two marvelous Ricci boxed sets. Superb productions ... outstanding booklet notes with good insights into the violinist himself. Already involved in the American Decca Sarasate disc ... still as stunning and musically exciting as I remembered from the LP!
Wonderful, Lance!

I'm looking forward to hearing much of his playing on Spotify while my order is pending for both sets. Listened to his Sarasate disc yesterday and marveled at his clarity of intonation there. In fact, I'm expecting the DGG box sometime after Christmas. The Decca box is currently out of stock, but I'm sure it will be available in the new year.

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:43 am

After listening to my new CDs I am still in awe of Ricci. In my youth, he had made the virtuoso repertoire his own and rehearing these recordings, I can see why. Nowadays when there seem to be a lot of virtuosi who can and do play these works more accurately than he did, Ricci's sheer flair puts him in a class of his own.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:47 pm

Yes, it's hard to believe there was ever a more technically gifted generation than today's. The sheer number, as you say, Mike. People like Hilary Hahn, the spiritual heir of Grumiaux inthe Franco-Belgian school, are as good as anyone. Yet I almost always turn, when listening just for pleasure, to previous generations, especially Grumiaux and Oistrakh, my number one and two. It may be that musical character outranked technical virtuosity for that generation - but they weren't deficient in technqie.

In fairness, that might be the extremely common phenomenon of loving what I know, what I grew up with. But like all of us here, I listen with fresh ears and am perfectly willing to be amazed by the beauty etc of modern performers. As I've written elsewhere, I think we are in the middle - or at least the beginning - of a golden age of pianists with the likes of Levit, Trifonov and Grosvenor (to name just three).