‘Tosca’ Catches Fire at the Met Opera

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:02 am

I see this Tosca will not be done HD style at a movie theater. Regards, Len

Sondra Radvanovsky and Brian Jagde sing thrillingly, and Yannick Nézet-Séguin conducts a superb performance of Puccini’s classic.

By Anthony Tommasini
Dec. 3, 2021

Sometimes, for reasons no one can fully explain, an opera performance just catches fire. That’s what happened at the Metropolitan Opera on Thursday, when Puccini’s “Tosca” returned.

In a fall at the Met that’s been full of momentous new works, intriguing repertory firsts and six-hour epics, this seemed on paper just an ordinary revival of David McVicar’s production. The soprano Sondra Radvanovsky was returning in the title role; the tenor Brian Jagde was appearing at the Met for the second time, singing Cavaradossi; the veteran baritone George Gagnidze (a late replacement for Evgeny Nikitin) was Scarpia; and Yannick Nézet-Séguin, the Met’s music director, was in the pit.

Yet starting with the opening measures, chilling orchestral chords that represent the villainous Scarpia, this performance abounded in crackling energy, sure-paced suspense, romantic reverie and thrilling singing from Radvanovsky and Jagde.

It was Nézet-Séguin who seemed to be inspiring these formidable singers and the orchestra. On Monday, the Met announced that he was withdrawing from a January run of Mozart’s “Le Nozze di Figaro” and taking a nearly four-week sabbatical from his conducting duties, including his directorship of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Nézet-Séguin has been maintaining a busy schedule this fall, including Met runs of two demanding contemporary works, “Fire Shut Up in My Bones” and “Eurydice”; in the announcement he said he needed some time to “re-energize.” Though it was a concerning decision, and it's disappointing to lose him for “Figaro,” if taking a short break will allow him to keep summoning the kind of energy he had for “Tosca,” then so be it.

He didn’t bring an unusual interpretive approach to Puccini’s familiar score. He simply led a splendid performance: rhythmically crisp, transparent, textured and colorful. While giving singers expressive leeway, he maintained shape and direction and favored slightly brisker than usual pacing. When, in Act I, Cavaradossi, trying to calm his jealous lover’s suspicions, turns to Tosca with a lyrical outpouring that begins their duet, Jagde and Radvanovsky sang with plenty of melting lyricism. Still, what a pleasure it was to hear the music — thanks to Nézet-Séguin’s subtle control — performed with a clear pulse, in a tempo that did not allow for any indulgences.

Radvanovsky was extraordinary. Like Maria Callas, perhaps the 20th century’s defining Tosca, she uses the slightly grainy quality of her sound to exciting dramatic purpose. Her account of the great aria “Vissi d’arte” was at once intensely anguished and surpassingly beautiful. The ovation went on so long it seemed Radvanovsky might be forced to break character and acknowledge it. But not this Tosca. One of the best actresses in opera, she made the character her own with affecting touches — flirtatious and playful one moment, fearful and anguished the next.

In Jagde she had a tenor who could match her soaring power. It’s hard to believe that he spent almost 10 years early in his career as a baritone. On Thursday his enormous, vibrant voice was capped by exciting top notes. Now and then I wanted a little more subtlety and elegance. But it’s hard to complain when you have a singer with such a big, beefy instrument.

Gagnidze held his own as Scarpia, conveying the character’s malevolence but also his aristocratic disdain. Patrick Carfizzi as the Sacristan, Kevin Short as Angelotti and Tony Stevenson as Spoletta were all excellent.

There are just four more performances this month with Radvanovsky, Jagde and Nézet-Séguin. When word gets out, tickets may be scarce.

Through Dec. 18 with this cast (and in January and March with different artists) at the Metropolitan Opera, Manhattan; metopera.org.
Site Information Navigation

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/03/arts ... tosca.html

maestrob

Re: ‘Tosca’ Catches Fire at the Met Opera

Post by maestrob » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:42 pm

Much maligned after its premiere, I think Tosca is a great work and skillfully done. It's really tough to get a great performance out of experienced artists, and I'm happy that Nezet-Seguin managed to do that and get this review.

Radvanovsky is surely one of the great singers in her generation, and to be compared to Maria Callas is a well-deserved mention, especially after her success as Norma, another role Callas was famous for singing.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:39 pm

maestrob wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:42 pm
Radvanovsky is surely one of the great singers in her generation, and to be compared to Maria Callas is a well-deserved mention, especially after her success as Norma, another role Callas was famous for singing.
Brian we've seen her live at the Met quite a few times and she's never disappointed us! Regards, Len

barney

Post by barney » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:27 am

maestrob wrote:
Much maligned after its premiere, I think Tosca is a great work and skillfully done. It's really tough to get a great performance out of experienced artists, and I'm happy that Nezet-Seguin managed to do that and get this review.

No, no Brian. You know Tosca is "a shabby little shocker"!

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 am

barney wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:27 am
maestrob wrote:

No, no Brian. You know Tosca is "a shabby little shocker"!
:roll: :wink:

Oh, Barney, do you really think I believe ALL your reviews? :lol:

barney

Post by barney » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:24 pm

:lol: :lol:

Yes, Brian, I did think that. You've left me sadly disillusioned.
I think you know very well the phrase originated with Professor Joseph Kermon in his 1952 book Opera as Drama.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 am

barney wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:24 pm
I think you know very well the phrase originated with Professor Joseph Kermon in his 1952 book Opera as Drama.
Barney I remember when John F first used that term on Sue and me many years ago-we love the opera Tosca and his description left us shattered! Regards, Len :lol: