Kaufmann in Lohengrin

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

barney

Kaufmann in Lohengrin

Post by barney » Thu May 26, 2022 9:18 pm

Big couple of weeks in Melbourne, with Opera Australia in town.
First a beautiful Traviata in a famous old production with rising star Stacey Alleaume (remember that name!) a wonderful Violetta.
Then Kaufmann in Lohen, an absolutely thrilling production. I gave it five stars for The Age (happy to post link if anyone is interested).
then on Wednesday Ferrucio Furlanetto in the title role in Boito's Mefistofele, concert performance, wonderful also. I interviewed the bass for the paper, and he was a dream to interview. Some of the things I didn't have room to include were his disdain for regiestheater (he has a black list of directors to whom he just says no thanks) and the challenges of the whistle aria. He doesn't whistle it himself - he could at 18, but then he couldn't sing it. :lol: Can post this piece too, but suspect only Brian will be interested. :D It was the first performance in Australia, apparently, though I know it moderately well from CDs.

maestrob

Re: Kaufmann in Lohengrin

Post by maestrob » Fri May 27, 2022 7:48 am

barney wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:18 pm
Big couple of weeks in Melbourne, with Opera Australia in town.
First a beautiful Traviata in a famous old production with rising star Stacey Alleaume (remember that name!) a wonderful Violetta.
Then Kaufmann in Lohen, an absolutely thrilling production. I gave it five stars for The Age (happy to post link if anyone is interested).
then on Wednesday Ferrucio Furlanetto in the title role in Boito's Mefistofele, concert performance, wonderful also. I interviewed the bass for the paper, and he was a dream to interview. Some of the things I didn't have room to include were his disdain for regiestheater (he has a black list of directors to whom he just says no thanks) and the challenges of the whistle aria. He doesn't whistle it himself - he could at 18, but then he couldn't sing it. :lol: Can post this piece too, but suspect only Brian will be interested. :D It was the first performance in Australia, apparently, though I know it moderately well from CDs.
Barney, please do post your reviews. Remember that there are many lurkers here who don't post much or at all. They will also be interested, I'm sure! Don't hold back! :D

So glad you finally got to see Mefistofele live. I find it a magnificent work, and have fond memories of Norman Treigle writhing across the stage in City Opera's production decades ago.