Opinions sought on Villa-Lobos box sets

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Seán

Opinions sought on Villa-Lobos box sets

Post by Seán » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:43 pm

I have to confess that even after all these years of listening to music that I am not familiar with any of the music of the Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos. When seeking out the recorded works of composers new to me I usually start with orchestral recordings. This time I am considering getting one of the two box sets that are currently available. The first one is on the superb CPO label and contains all of the symphonies

The performances are by
Lothar Odinius, Henryk Böhm, Jürgen Linn,
SWR Vocal Ensemble Stuttgart,
RSO Stuttgart,
Carl St. Clair - conducting

The second set is on Naxos, the cycle is incomplete as the Fifth Symphony is not included:

The performances are by
Leonardo Neiva & Saulo Javan,
Sao Paulo Symphony Choir,
Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra,
Isaac Karabtchevsky - conducting

I am wondering if you are familiar with these recordings and if so would you recommend that I buy either one of them?
Seán

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler

Modernistfan

Re: Opinions sought on Villa-Lobos box sets

Post by Modernistfan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:32 pm

Both sets are missing the Fifth Symphony. It is lost, if Villa-Lobos ever even completed it. You may as well get the Naxos.

Danny

Post by Danny » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:06 pm

I bought his complete set of string quartets years ago:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/release/ ... 0002131786

and found them enjoyable.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:27 am

Good morning, Sean.

I have had the CPO set since it came out: my nephew plays French horn in the Pacific Symphony, so I am naturally prejudiced in its favor. I have not yet heard the Naxos, but my instincts tell me that it is probably excellent as well.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:03 am

I've posted this before, but I remind you all again of the famous quote by Igor Stravinsky, who asked why it was that whenever he heard music he didn't like it was always by Villa-Lobos.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:36 am

Have you looked into the Bachianas Brasileiras? I understand these to be his most widely performed orchestral work. I have this set, but it's been quite a while since I've listened to it, and have nothing definitive to say. If I find time to listen later I will update my post. (I have had problems copying the image of the CD. However, this link provides a number of reviews as well. The recording is by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with Enrique Batiz as conductor.)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000UZ4F10?ref ... RS1YHGZ39Q

A couple of extracts from the reviews:

"What brilliant music this is, given in very good performances."

"I was left knowing I would be sneaking into the furtherest charity shop to leave this hidden under the box of second hand bow ties."

As you can see, there is a full range of listener responses. :) :)

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:08 am

There are two complete sets of the Bachianas Brasilieras that I'm aware of. One is contained in an EMI box conducted by Batiz, and the other is with the Nashville Symphony featuring pianist Jose Feghali, a Cliburn competition winner much talked about in these pages recently. Both are excellent, IMHO.

Villa Lobos also recorded much of his own music in France for EMI, but those are in mono sound and are a bit dated sonically from the early 1950's. The highlight of that set in Victoria De Los Angeles singing #5.

Here's the original LP...

....and the CD box set "Par lui-meme" (by himself) from EMI/France.

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:30 am

I believe that the de los Angeles vocal performance mentioned is included in the EMI Icons set, which is well worth getting on its merits generally.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:41 pm

There is another box set worth mentioning, on the Bis label, with the complete Villa-Lobos Bachianas Brasileiras and Choros, with the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra (7 CDs for the price of 3)

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:23 am

maestrob wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:08 am
There are two complete sets of the Bachianas Brasilieras that I'm aware of. One is contained in an EMI box conducted by Batiz, and the other is with the Nashville Symphony featuring pianist Jose Feghali, a Cliburn competition winner much talked about in these pages recently. Both are excellent, IMHO.

I had a chance yesterday to give the first CD of this set a spin. I believe that include the first 3 Bachianas. Think Latin music with brass using various Bachian forms, but not rising to the level of inventiveness and musical appeal found in Bach's music. That comment may be a bit unfair on a single listen, but one senses that folk forms are struggling with a limited polyphony in this music. At its worst, the music sounds like the background for a western movie but this kind of a western:

This is a kind of program music, and that's one image, not representative of the music generally. I don't mean to mock it, and if anything, 'western movies' speak to my personal limited experience more than anything.
I think of Villa-Lobos music as being an important part of my collection, but it's not something I have returned to all that often. I should play that first CD a few more times and see if I can get more from it.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:27 am

Quite!

I find Villa-Lobos enjoyable, but not very profound, but a good performance of "Momoprecoce" can really get the my ears perked up. I'll post that piece in just a moment for your perusal.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjQGiqm1U8

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:23 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:27 am
Quite!

I find Villa-Lobos enjoyable, but not very profound, but a good performance of "Momoprecoce" can really get the my ears perked up. I'll post that piece in just a moment for your perusal.

Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjQGiqm1U8
"Enjoyable, but not profound" is a good way to express it. As I listened I thought that a good stereo system shows the music to good effect. Play a bit on the loud side.

Do you prefer the Sao Paulo Symphony in this music? Naxos has quite a range of Villa-Lobos recordings with that orchestra, but Prokofiev is also well represented.

The background of Isaac Karabtchevsky, the conductor on many of these recordings, is quite interesting. (Note the 'English' button on this page, just in case your Portuguese is not up to par.)
http://www.karabtchevsky.com.br/biography

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:09 pm

Karabtchevsky is an excellent conductor of Brazilian music, including, but not limited to Villa-Lobos. He was actually born in Sao Paulo, even if his name suggests Shklov more than it suggests Sao Paulo.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:57 pm

His 5 piano concertos, Cristina Ortiz,pianist, on Decca London.

Just a single Naxos cd , but his complete works for solo guitar, Norbert Kraft.

Both excellent.
Last edited by Rach3 on Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:29 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:57 pm
His 5 piano concertos, Cristina Ortiz,pianist, on Decca London.

Just a single Naxos cd , but his complete works for solo guitar, Norbert Kraft.

Kraft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyBtlFY ... ZdX7CmGusc

Some of Ortiz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6v-bO-dss