Robin de Raaff's new piano concerto in the round

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Robin de Raaff's new piano concerto in the round

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:02 pm

Holland Festival 2022, June 10, at the Gashouder,Amsterdam.

Robin de Raaff’s Piano Concerto No.2 premiere, Ralph van Raat, piano, Netherlands Radio Philharmonic,Matthias Pintscher,conductor

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/1e49 ... culus-coro

From Radio 4 per Google translator:

"Robin de Raaff wrote his Concerto for piano and orchestra no. 2 'Circulus' especially for pianist Ralph van Raat. In 2001 Ralph premiered De Raaff's first Piano Concerto. Now follows the premiere of the second Concerto.

A piano concerto like clockwork.

The round shape of the Gashouder, where the performance of De Raaff's Concerto for Piano and Orchestra no. 2 takes place, is an important source of inspiration. The pianist sits in the middle, the audience surrounds the soloist and is surrounded by the orchestra. The space and arrangement of the orchestra are reminiscent of a clockwork, a powerful metaphor for time. With direct and indirect references to clocks, Circulus refers to the transience of human life and our place in the universe."

A one-hear for me, but a break from the Cliburn warhorses.Ralph van Raat is an indefatigable advocate for new music.I have his "Solway Canal" cd, music of Gavin Bryars, I can recommend highly.