A new piano concerto premiere

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

A new piano concerto premiere

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:10 am

From Radio 4 via Google translator:

Master pianist Yefim Bronfman concludes his residency with the Concertgebouw Orchestra with a new piano concerto by the prominent Russian composer Elena Firsova. The special world premiere is part of a fascinating program led by Jakub Hrusa, in which the tense relationship between music and dictatorship is central. Firsova and her husband Dmitri Smirnov were blacklisted by composers in 1979 and were opposed by the Soviet government for years...The composer couple emigrated to England in 1991, where Smirnov died in April 2020.

Concert voor piano en orkest, op.175
Elena Firsova

Koninklijk Concertgebouworkest, Jakub Hrusa (Dirigent), Yefim Bronfman (piano),June 17,2022,Amsterdam

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/bc42 ... bouworkest

Interesting in the first several minutes, but I lost interest. Credit to Bronfman for learning it at this stage of his career.

Modernistfan

Re: A new piano concerto premiere

Post by Modernistfan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:22 pm

I'll have to give that a listen. I hope that this work is on the next RCO Live "Horizons" recording.

Rach3

Re: A new piano concerto premiere

Post by Rach3 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:28 pm

I'll listen again.Sometimes, first impressions are misleading, eg.Bartok quartets.