Conductor Rouvali to NYPO ?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Conductor Rouvali to NYPO ?

Post by Rach3 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:06 pm

From NYT July 29:

A Conductor Who Knows His Way Around a Score, and a Farm

Santtu-Matias Rouvali, a contender for the podium at the New York Philharmonic, spends as much free time as possible at home in rural Finland.

https://tinyurl.com/z8xscmmv

lennygoran

Re: Conductor Rouvali to NYPO ?

Post by lennygoran » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:47 am

Rach3 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:06 pm
From NYT July 29:

A Conductor Who Knows His Way Around a Score, and a Farm

https://tinyurl.com/z8xscmmv
Steve I didn't see your post until now-I started a new thread with it-maybe not everyone will be able to see the photos but I could try to delete it? Regards, Len

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:54 am

Interesting. I don't know him through recordings, so I must withhold comment for now.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:46 am

Just listened to his Prokofiev V (available through Amazon Prime) and was suitably impressed. Rouvali has a keen sense of shape and driven energy throughout, with good attention to telling details, and he allows the Philharmonia to play their hearts out. Climaxes were well-negotiated and powerful. Good tempi throughout, with a particularly effective accelerando in the B section of the second movement. I should point out that Rouvali does interpolate a bit of uncalled-for rubato in two bars that I spotted. A five-star reading, if a bit skimpy (43 minutes) for a CD.