KUSC-FM Wastes Airtime with Vin Scully Tribute

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Modernistfan

KUSC-FM Wastes Airtime with Vin Scully Tribute

Post by Modernistfan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:55 pm

KJUSC-FM, the Los Angeles radio station that is engaged in a campaign to dumb down classical music, has once again infuriated me.

Vin Scully, the long-time announcer for the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team, died the other day at 94. (Yes, I was a Dodger fan and frequently listened to him.) KUSC wasted something like 15 minutes of airtime with an essentially non-musical tribute to Scully. I was incensed and sent the following note to the station:
I am highly incensed that you would waste a substantial amount of airtime commemorating the baseball announcer Vin Scully. Yes, I am a Dodger fan and frequently listened to him; I definitely mourn his passing. However, you are a classical music radio station and your focus must be on that art form. Recently, the Southern California-based composer (and former principal percussionist of the Los Angeles Philharmonic) William Kraft passed away. You completely failed to acknowledge him or play any of his music, some of which had been recorded by the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Also, the internationally-known composer Louis Andriessen, whose music had also been recorded by Los Angeles-based ensembles, passed away and you failed to acknowledge him or play any of his music. Yet you wasted 15 minutes of airtime to honor a baseball announcer whose life and career had no relevance whatsoever to classical music. You need to do much better.
I do not expect any response. Just to mention his passing in a brief note would have been fine, but it was ridiculous to waste 15 minutes. (That is far more time than they gave to honor Jessye Norman or Andre Previn when they passed away.)

Bro

Re: KUSC-FM Wastes Airtime with Vin Scully Tribute

Post by Bro » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:51 pm

I quite agree. This has nothing to do with the arts. I was watching a Mets game and during it there was a tribute, by the announcers, of Mr. Scully - who I had never heard of.