My first Manru By Ignacy Jan Paderewski Premiere Opera DVD $3.49

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm

Manru remains to this day the only Polish opera ever presented at The Metropolitan Opera. It was a fairly nice experience with a lot of pleasant music-good singing and acting and relatively traditional-good captions but the screen was very dark at times-a drawback-I have a feeling Premiere Opera didn't do a good job of copying here. The opera itself has a few too many romantic twists and turns to suit me. And I sure did here alot of Wagner type music in this opera! Here's how other Premiere opera customers felt:

Product Reviews
1. Excellent!
PATRICIA SUTHERLAND (Olmsted Falls, OH) 1/26/2016 5:18 PM
I agree with the previous reviewers on all counts. The story is perfect subject matter for opera; an impossible love affair ending in tragedy for everyone. Great music! The subtitles went by too fast to read at times; otherwise, no issues with the DVD.

2. I had no idea Paderewski could compose like this!
Operafilly (Fallbrook, California) 3/3/2013 10:52 AM
This late romantic style music is wonderfully blended with the story of lovers, Ulana, outcast for living with the gypsy, Manru. Manru is torn by his love for her, but longs for the gypsy caravans' eternal wandering. The voices are excellent and also is the acting (and I am very picky). A Carmenesque gypsy who tries to lure Manru back is a visual and vocal knockout who should also do Carmen. My favorite music was the violinist's on stage obligatto, gorgeously played. He was called the Master of Yearning, also trying to lure Manru back to the fold. Well worth watching for most any opera lover

3.John Cahill (Laurel, Maryland) 1/4/2013 12:16 AM
The production of Manru is fairly modern in costume and simple scenery. The singing and acting are excellent. Picture and sould quality are excellent. There are English subtitles embedded. CAST Manru – Janusz Ratajczak (tenor) Ulana – Wioletta Chodowicz (soprano) Jadwiga – Barbara Krahel (mezzo-soprano) Urok – Leszek Skrla (baritone) Aza – Monika Ledzion (mezzo-soprano) Oros – Jacek Greszta (bass) Jaga – Lukasz Golinski (bass) Mlody Cygan (Young Gypsy) – Marcin Naruszewicz (tenor) Mloda Dziewczyna (Young Girl) – Magdalena Polkowska (soprano) Chorus, Ballet, and Orchestra Opery Nova w Bydgoszczy Maciej Figas – conductor Poland 2006

And here's a review from the NYTimes from Feb 1902 when the work was performed at the Met-it's quite detailed and long.
https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesm ... 222502.pdf

Here's the cast of my DVD: Paderewski: Manru

Wioletta Chodowicz (soprano), Magdalena Polkowska (soprano), Monika Lendzion (mezzo), Barbara Krahel (mezzo), Marcin Naruszewicz (tenor), Janusz Ratajczak (tenor), Leszek Skrla (baritone), Łukasz Goliński (bass), Jacek Greszta (bass)Chó i Orkiestra Opery Nova w Bydgoszcz, Maciej Figas

maestrob

Re: My first Manru By Ignacy Jan Paderewski Premiere Opera DVD $3.49

Post by maestrob » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:25 am

Could not find this in a format that would play on my equipment. One DVD was PAL, & the other was region 2. Too bad. Looks interesting...

lennygoran

Re: My first Manru By Ignacy Jan Paderewski Premiere Opera DVD $3.49

Post by lennygoran » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:38 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:25 am
Could not find this in a format that would play on my equipment. One DVD was PAL, & the other was region 2. Too bad. Looks interesting...
Brian it was worth seeing this for me-very nice music-why the DVD Premiere Opera sent played so dark was quite disappointing-on you tube there's a trailer of the one we saw and the picture quality there is very nice. Regards, Len

http://www.opera.bydgoszcz.pl/MANRU,10,31