Hamelin plays " Hammerklavier " live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Hamelin plays " Hammerklavier " live

Post by Rach3 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:08 pm

https://auvio.rtbf.be/media/concert-de-20h-2962334

Enregistré le 05/08/2022 à la Salle de concert, Domaine Forget, St-Irénée, Canada

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach - Württemberg Sonata No. 2, Wq 49
Marc-André Hamelin - Suite à l'ancienne
Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonate No. 29 en Si bémol Majeur, op. 106 "Hammerklavier"
Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach - Rondo en do mineur No. 4, Wq 59 (bis)

An attractive CPE sonata ( the few others I’ve heard are not so much to my ear ). Hamelin’s own Suite is delightful and substantial, as expected a technical tour de force but the musical values prevail, jazz-inflected at times, but also Godowskian to my ear.

I doubt anyone has played the “Hammerklavier” Fugue quite as overwhelmingly as here.Beethoven shaking his fist at the Heavens from the first movement on , with only some grudging respect to the Creator in the Adagio.May be a bit dry for some tastes, but Hamelin makes a strong case for his vision of Beethoven's intent here.

The site navigation may be tricky, but was worth the effort.May be under “Podcasts” as well. You can sign in with Google at “Se connecter”, then “ J’ai un compte”, then when connected, “Ecouter”. Sound not the greatest, but perhaps the venue.