Royal Mail in deep trouble!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Royal Mail in deep trouble!

Post by Lance » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:55 am

If you think the USA's postal service has lost the "service" element of late, think what's going in England! Anyone who orders recordings from Presto will have a considerable wait, I suspect. Their site now warns that parcels and mail will be greatly delayed. An order I put in on December 11th, 2022 is now expected to be dispatched by March 5th, 2023 and there remains the transit time to destination. Presto suggests selecting FedEx for "urgent orders". If you are only order two or three CDs, and unless you select FedEx, the charge for FedEx would seem to be non-effective in terms of final purchase price though you won't pay sales tax from Presto/England. Making a large order that would normally use FedEx Economy might still only gain you receiving a partial order because suppliers can't ship product via Royal Mail to the dealers. This kind of mail situation causes enormous problems throughout the world let alone Britain's economy. What I don't particularly appreciate is when you place an order via credit card, the card is immediately charged but your merchandise comes about six weeks later meaning your $$$ are being used interest free for the vendor. And what happens if the vendor goes out of business because he can't run his business? I would rather the credit card be charged on "hold" by your bank (others use this method) and when the order is actually shipped, the charge then goes through. Anyone given any thought to this?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Royal Mail in deep trouble!

Post by maestrob » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:00 am

Hello, night owl!

Agree that Presto's practice of charging my credit card at the point of order is annoying to us Americans whose companies don't do that (We are charged when the item ships.), but Presto has been really good at shipping what they have on hand, sometimes with a bit of prompting.

For years I have avoided ordering from Presto during the holiday season because of trouble with deliveries, so this is not a surprise.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:08 pm

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 am

My writing this topic must have provoked some magic. Presto sent me a note today that my order of 01-08-2023 was shipped out today by FedEx, but three (3) items were not included as not yet in stock. This will include the complete Gieseking on Warner, complete Arrau on Warner, the complete Gavrilov on DGG and the all-Bach with Demus on Westminster/Eloquence. I don't buy myself very many Christmas presents or any presents very often (ahem!!! :oops:) but splurged on this stuff.

However, a less than $100/USD order sent on 12-11-2022 was said to have been sent Standard Air Mail on 12-15-2022. Seems to me THAT order should have arrived by now over a month later. Inasmuch as the Royal Mail problem didn't start (so I understand) until January 11th, I have the feeling this parcel must've been lost in the holiday mails. I keep watching for that one every day.

These are minor problems when one considers all the problems going in in Ukraine, California, the mid-west, the Amazon and Microsoft layoffs, inflation, the high cost of just bout everything.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:42 am

Lance wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 am
My writing this topic must have provoked some magic. Presto sent me a note today that my order of 01-08-2023 was shipped out today by FedEx, but three (3) items were not included as not yet in stock. This will include the complete Gieseking on Warner, complete Arrau on Warner, the complete Gavrilov on DGG and the all-Bach with Demus on Westminster/Eloquence. I don't buy myself very many Christmas presents or any presents very often (ahem!!! :oops:) but splurged on this stuff.

However, a less than $100/USD order sent on 12-11-2022 was said to have been sent Standard Air Mail on 12-15-2022. Seems to me THAT order should have arrived by now over a month later. Inasmuch as the Royal Mail problem didn't start (so I understand) until January 11th, I have the feeling this parcel must've been lost in the holiday mails. I keep watching for that one every day.

These are minor problems when one considers all the problems going in in Ukraine, California, the mid-west, the Amazon and Microsoft layoffs, inflation, the high cost of just bout everything.
Lance, Presto impressed me with their kindness about five years ago. When I reported a Christmas shipment lost in the mail after waiting roughly six weeks, they sent me a duplicate shipment of my order. You might try contacting them about your lost order after a few more weeks have gone by.

The Royal Mail inevitably slows down around this time of year.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 am

Hi Brian ... yes, a rather large order from Presto a couple of years ago went missing. It was sent without tracing abilities, oddly. Presto sent another complete order. I was very happy with the service.
maestrob wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:42 am
Lance wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:31 am

Lance, Presto impressed me with their kindness about five years ago. When I reported a Christmas shipment lost in the mail after waiting roughly six weeks, they sent me a duplicate shipment of my order. You might try contacting them about your lost order after a few more weeks have gone by.

The Royal Mail inevitably slows down around this time of year.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief