Pianist Alexandre Tharaud playing Marin Marais

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Pianist Alexandre Tharaud playing Marin Marais

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:19 am

My opinion of French pianist Alexandre Tharaud is right at the top of the list. I am fortunate to have most of his recordings now, even the ones that are hard to find from the "early" days of recording. I spoke a while back on his new 2-CD "Cinema" album ... which I enjoyed more than Lang Lang's similar 2-CD set of Disney music on DGG.

it's no surprise that Tharaud would delve into Marais (1656-1728) music. A look at his discography will show composers such as Rameau, Couperin, Lully and others mixed in with lots of other composers from Baroque through 21st century. In this case, Tharaud joins forces with cellist and long-time friend Jean-Guihen Queyras, with whom Tharaud has made other recordings - first class ones as well. What we have here is 17 tracks [62:24] of Marais music in original and transcriptions. The two collaborated on the selections and what would normally be performed with viol and keyboard or other instruments - here performed on Queyras 1696 Gioffredo Cappa cello and a new CFX Yamaha concert grand piano that proves to be a fabulous instrument in the manner Tharaud uses it to complement the cello. While the two collaborate on 15 of the selections, both get to play one solo (no accompaniment). In the case of Tharaud, he performs "Le Badinage" from the Fourth Book of Pieces de viole. It was so rewarding that I had to repeat it five times in row.
Over the last decade or so, I have become more fascinated with Marais' music in CDs issued during the last dozen years. As the booklet explains, Marais felt his music could be performed (transcribed) for any number of instruments or combinations of instruments. From what I hear here, I could not dispute that. While this may not be your daily "bread" in listening, you will turn to it time-to-time to be completely fascinated. It's a brand new recording on Harmonia Mundi [902315]. Give this a try if your brain is telling you to try something new! :)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]