A disappointing Montgeroult recording

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

A disappointing Montgeroult recording

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:35 pm

Always looking for new repertoire from Baroque through the Romantic periods, I went for the complete piano sonatas of Helene de Montgeroult (1764-1836) appearing on Grand Piano 885-886. 2 hours 36 minutes+ playing time. Issued in 2021 with French pianist Nicolas Horvath, the booklet about her life as a noted teacher and composer, was more interesting than the music. Listening through the first disc entirely, there might have been some beauty in the music, however, the Steinway piano was recorded far too closely to convey any sense of subtlety or expression ... everything sounded at practically the same level and began to get ... I dislike using the word ... boring. Mr. Horvath may be a fine pianist from all indications that I've read and Ms. Montgeroult may have had quite a reputation in her time, but it seems we could almost live without what is contained in this two-CD set. I still await Montgeroult's latest recording of her Etudes. We shall see what we shall see, or hear! ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: A disappointing Montgeroult recording

Post by maestrob » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:23 am

Oh, my!

I believe this may be the first critical review I've read from you, Lance!

I think all of us here have shelled out good $$$ for what appeared to be an interesting recording, only to be disappointed upon actually opening & playing it. Since I know you're not a technophobe, might I suggest that now is the time to start a Spotify subscription? I've saved countless $$$ by listening there before I buy. The sound quality and reliability have both improved tremendously since I first started with them about 2 years ago.

https://open.spotify.com/?

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:48 pm

Hmm, I recall writing a few in the past. I kind of feel that all of us love our music and what we like/enjoy, others dislike. I honestly think anyone who makes recordings today, from the finest we know to those at a lower rung, sincerely believe they are giving their best. In this particular instance — with the Montgeroult recording — I was looking for something in the music that might propel me into the ether ... especially after reading about the background of the composer. Alas, I could not find much to discover in the music, the performance, and the recording quality. To be fair, it does happen sometimes, even to those we hold in the highest esteem.
maestrob wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:23 am
Oh, my!

I think all of us here have shelled out good $$$ for what appeared to be an interesting recording, only to be disappointed upon actually opening & playing it. Since I know you're not a technophobe, might I suggest that now is the time to start a Spotify subscription? I've saved countless $$$ by listening there before I buy. The sound quality and reliability have both improved tremendously since I first started with them about 2 years ago.

Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:37 am

Lance, I suggest you re-listen to these discs, but just one or two sonatas at a time. I feel that listening to a CD with a collection of different works straight through not very easy do unless the music and/or performances are really compelling (like Gulda's Well-Tempered Clavier). Even then, listening in shorter time segments gives me an opportunity to stop and think about what I just heard.

If you have Amazon Prime, you have access to Prime Music which is a streaming benefit, although not as complete as the service you pay extra for. Several artists have recorded her music, including some of the sonatas. You might be able to compare different performances in that fashion. Your feelings about the composer, performing artists, and the music might all change for the better.

John

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:14 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:48 pm
Hmm, I recall writing a few in the past. I kind of feel that all of us love our music and what we like/enjoy, others dislike. I honestly think anyone who makes recordings today, from the finest we know to those at a lower rung, sincerely believe they are giving their best. In this particular instance — with the Montgeroult recording — I was looking for something in the music that might propel me into the ether ... especially after reading about the background of the composer. Alas, I could not find much to discover in the music, the performance, and the recording quality. To be fair, it does happen sometimes, even to those we hold in the highest esteem.
maestrob wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:23 am
Oh, my!

Quite right. Even the most famous musicians can have a bad day or even two. What I look for is a consistently high quality in a performer. It is this that pleases me most and wins my five star ratings.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:07 pm

Having just received a new BIS recording [2603] of Montgeroult's Etudes (29 of them) from her mammoth complete studies for the piano, here, now, is a recording of her music performed by Clare Hammond. A totally different approach of playing Montgeroult's music. To say the pianist makes an incredible difference would be an understatement here. She graces each note with expression and subtleties I never heard in music performed by Nicolas Horvath in my original post above. Her playing sounds effortless. While there are only 29 Etudes on this disc, I would opt for ALL of them based on this BIS disc. Hammond also plays a gorgeous Steinway D that is recorded in an atmosphere that makes the whole recording have life. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:12 pm

Lance wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:07 pm
Having just received a new BIS recording [2603] of Montgeroult's Etudes (29 of them) from her mammoth complete studies for the piano, here, now, is a recording of her music performed by Clare Hammond. A totally different approach of playing Montgeroult's music. To say the pianist makes an incredible difference would be an understatement here. She graces each note with expression and subtleties I never heard in music performed by Nicolas Horvath in my original post above. Her playing sounds effortless. While there are only 29 Etudes on this disc, I would opt for ALL of them based on this BIS disc. Hammond also plays a gorgeous Steinway D that is recorded in an atmosphere that makes the whole recording have life. ♫
Wonderful, Lance! I will try this one out tomorrow.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:47 pm

Lance wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:07 pm
Such a wonderful CD. Clare Hammond obviously loves Montgeroult's music, but I wonder if she has played through all of the 111 etudes in order to offer us these gems? :D Still, she is a wonderful pianist and welcome in my library. As always, many thanks, Lance. Incidentally, I love the sound of her Steinway D.

Here is a sample from the CD above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kGKGxB1yJc

And more excerpts from her live recitals:

https://www.youtube.com/clarehammondpiano

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:13 pm

Thank you, Brian! Whilst playing the Etudes with Clare Hammond, my wife hollered down to my studio; "who is playing, and what is the music ... where can I find the music?" So, for a piano teacher, this was good to hear. I'm sure Miss Hammond was selective in what would be recorded for the disc. They are not recorded sequentially but variously thus giving us a better "outlook" on the whole Montergoult-Etude-business! If one were to take all the Etudes written by Chopin, Liszt, Alkan, and many others (there are many, too!), written to gain mastery over the piano, we would all be magnificent pianists ... no?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:35 pm

If I can quote an esteemed member of this group, YMMV.

I have Amazon Prime, but have never discovered the music. Where do I find that?

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:53 pm

barney wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:35 pm
If I can quote an esteemed member of this group, YMMV.

I have Amazon Prime, but have never discovered the music. Where do I find that?
You can open the Web Player by clicking the "hamburger" menu to the left of ALL, click on "Amazon Music" and the click on "Amazon Music Prime". You should be able to access and listen to selections, subject to the limits set on Prime Music. Amazon Music Unlimited is the highest level subscription, but it costs an additional fee. My trial for that runs out in about a week when it will revert to Prime Music, so we'll both find out a bit more about it. :-)

You can also download an app for Windows Desktop )Microsoft Store), Android (Google Play) or the iPhone (wherever you download those apps).

John

barney

Post by barney » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:42 am

Brilliant, John. Many thanks. On to it tomorrow!

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:15 pm

You're welcome. Have fun.

There is much to explore. I recently listened to Fritz Kreisler's recording of the Beethoven Violin Concerto, conducted by John Barbirolli, a 1936 recording. The transfer was by Ward Marston on Biddulph. This is the best transfer I've heard of this wonderful recording, which I hold as one of the best, with Kreisler's extraordinary cadenzas.

John