Ingrid Fliter plays Schumann's Etudes live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Ingrid Fliter plays Schumann's Etudes live

Post by Rach3 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:49 pm

Live video, June,2022 at Wigmore Hall, Fliter plays Schumann's "Etudes symphonique" with an interesting , convincing, and perhaps unique use of the 5 posthumous variations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBKxrOEh3hI

Also on the programme Haydn's Sonata No.34,a Scarlatti sonata as an attaca lead-in to the Schumann, and a Chopin nocturne encore ; I heard only the Schumann.

maestrob

Re: Ingrid Fliter plays Schumann's Etudes live

Post by maestrob » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:28 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:49 pm
Live video, June,2022 at Wigmore Hall, Fliter plays Schumann's "Etudes symphonique" with an interesting , convincing, and perhaps unique use of the 5 posthumous variations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBKxrOEh3hI

Also on the programme Haydn's Sonata No.34,a Scarlatti sonata as an attaca lead-in to the Schumann, and a Chopin nocturne encore ; I heard only the Schumann.
Steve, I was glued to the screen for this entire recital. Ingrid Fliter is still a poet of the keyboard: her encore Chopin Nocturne was to die for, and her Haydn warm-up was perfection itself. Also, I thought her use of the posthumous pieces published by Brahms was ingenious. Her playing resonates with my musical sensibilities perfectly. If I had become a pianist, this is how I would interpret this repertoire. Many, many thanks!

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:11 am

Thanks for posting this link; I will watch it later. It may be my only chance to hear this pianist "live." Twice, she has been scheduled for recitals with the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society, and twice, those recitals were cancelled for medical reasons.
Last edited by Ricordanza on Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:06 am

Ricordanza wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:11 am
Thanks for posting this link; I will watch it later. It may be my only chance to hear this pianist "live." Twice, she has been scheduled for recitals with the Phihladelphia Chamber Music Society, and twice, those recitals were cancelled for medical reasons.
O Lord, Hank, is she in trouble? I sincerely hope not. Her playing is so honest and "just right." Her Chopin Nocturnes are at least equal to Rubinstein's in depth and sincerity. I must say her appearance in the recital above is quite changed from before: all the glamor seems to have been swept away.

I will say many prayers for her.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:14 pm

She played the Scarlatti and the Schumann both as if they were the Chopin Nocturne. And with way too much pedal!! The opening of the Schumann was too ponderous for my taste. I have a recording of Horowitz playing Scarlatti with a 'romantic' edge and his was convincing; this one just didn't work for me.

But what would I know? So help me god I love this work and I know how I want to hear it played.

This is one which is more subtle and varied: example, now the left hand dominates, now the right, now both together in a majestic, compatible sound world. No excessive pedalling here in his earlier etudes. Accentuation of the melody in the left hand, with filigree in the right NOT overwhelming proceedings but brought into sync with each other when needed. Etude #4: rigid rhythmic setting, but shading and lyricism evident. The Triff's dynamic shadings are formidable.

Etude #6: absolute ecstasy!! (The Triff never lets virtuosity get in the way of the music.) It's a high-wire act for him, though, as his Etude #8 has too much pedal!! Just when you think he's overdone it he'll pull back on the dynamics in an absolute instant. (Horowitz did this too. But he was a magician!!) Triff makes some fluffs, but all is forgiven. Actually he's better to hear than to watch, so contorted is his posture at times.

At 20:15 Schumann is at his most Beethovenian, and that final cadence....devastation!! I'm a wreck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIWBd7-AP4Q

This one from Richter is absolutely fabulous!! And there's a score here with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1FFWgzk4vI

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:32 am

Belle, I'm afraid we still disagree. While I have no quarrel with Richter, Trifonov's interpretation was entirely too rushed in places, especially the final etude. His too fast tempos made his notes quite shallow with no depth, especially in the left hand.

At least we can agree on our favorite Ukranian pianist.

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:07 pm

It's difficult for anybody today when competing with the great Richter!! With recordings those musicians are essentially 'still alive' and a yardstick for those who come after.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:58 am

Belle wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:07 pm
It's difficult for anybody today when competing with the great Richter!! With recordings those musicians are essentially 'still alive' and a yardstick for those who come after.
So, here's a young Ivo Pogorelich playing Schumann's Symphonic Etudes live, just to show that Richter wasn't the only one:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click