Erica Morini Edition

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

CharmNewton

Erica Morini Edition

Post by CharmNewton » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:48 pm

DG has re-released its collection of recordings featuring Erica Morini (those made for DG as well as those acquired from Westminster and American Decca) in new packaging. General pricing looks to be around $55-60 U.S.

It's nice to see these available again.

John

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Erica Morini Edition

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:53 am

Indeed, it is good to see this coming out again. A long time ago, I had the pleasure of meeting her after a concert here. She was delightful to talk with and the audience adored her.

Back in June 2016, I made the purchase of a Korean Decca 11-CD set [812 197] entitled "The Art of Erica Morini". It also features all the Westminster and American Decca recordings with wallets showing the original covers. I see the Korean edition is on Amazon now for as high as $500. Fortunately, I paid only a tiny fraction of that price! I noticed the new "DGG" edition shows 13 CDs. I did some checking. The only thing I was not able to find in the Korean Decca set was the Glazunov and Bruch Violin Concerto #1 with Ferenc Fricsay conducting. Those were released in the Ferenc Fricsay Edition 1 [of 2] as Volume 15 and that is a genuine DGG recording.

For the now going price of $55-$60/USD, it's a bargain-and-a-half. Near as I can determine, everything in the new DGG set is in the Korean set with the exception of the Bruch and Glazunov violin concertos as state above. I will do further checking to see if, indeed, that is 100% true.

Thanks for letting us know about this, John!

I saw in The New York Times some time ago that Morini's precious violin was stolen out of her NYC apartment. I wonder it was ever recovered?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:20 am

Yes, many thanks John!

I missed the Korean Box, and will gladly acquire this one. :D

CharmNewton

Post by CharmNewton » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:06 pm

Lance wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:53 am
Indeed, it is good to see this coming out again. A long time ago, I had the pleasure of meeting her after a concert here. She was delightful to talk with and the audience adored her.

Back in June 2016, I made the purchase of a Korean Decca 11-CD set [812 197] entitled "The Art of Erica Morini". It also features all the Westminster and American Decca recordings with wallets showing the original covers. I see the Korean edition is on Amazon now for as high as $500. Fortunately, I paid only a tiny fraction of that price! I noticed the new "DGG" edition shows 13 CDs. I did some checking. The only thing I was not able to find in the Korean Decca set was the Glazunov and Bruch Violin Concerto #1 with Ferenc Fricsay conducting. Those were released in the Ferenc Fricsay Edition 1 [of 2] as Volume 15 and that is a genuine DGG recording.
If the Korean Decca set is similar in packaging to the Milstein collection also released in 2016, it is deluxe. The Milstein set had laminated original jackets, liner notes and reproductions of the original labels as well. It also has the American produced Angel recording of J.S. Bach (Happy Birthday, Sebastian as Groves Dictionary writer would say) and Vivaldi (Happy belated Birthday from a couple of weeks ago) that Ms. Morini made with Milstein (as well as all of the other recordings Milstein made for American Angel and not to be confused with the Columbia/EMI produced recordings that were issued on Angel--the Americam recordings had their own numbering sequence that began with 36000).

Since the recording of Beethoven's Quartet No. 4 was released on CD by Universal with the two recordings of the Mozart Quartet No. 23, I'll assume it will be included here as well.
Lance wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:53 am
For the now going price of $55-$60/USD, it's a bargain-and-a-half. Near as I can determine, everything in the new DGG set is in the Korean set with the exception of the Bruch and Glazunov violin concertos as state above. I will do further checking to see if, indeed, that is 100% true.

Thanks for letting us know about this, John!

I saw in The New York Times some time ago that Morini's precious violin was stolen out of her NYC apartment. I wonder it was ever recovered?
You're welcome.

I know there are violin mavens on the forum (like the piano mavens) and we all have to get our CD pennies in a row when planning purchases and seeing where these sets fit in a collection. Ms. Morini's recordings have not been long on CD when re-issued.

John