Arthur Rubinstein Piano Competition, 2023

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Arthur Rubinstein Piano Competition, 2023

Post by Belle » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 pm

This competition is at the Finals stage, but here is the first stage of you want to taste its wares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0jncXHqlgA

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Arthur Rubinstein Piano Competition, 2023

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:49 am

I saw his name and my heart skipped a beat! You picked my favourite pianist of all time. I had the great pleasure of meeting him after a concert. Have all his recordings and many private ones as well. I will be looking in on this competition. Artur Rubinstein: MY PIANISTIC HERO!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:22 am

The chamber music programs for the last stage of the competition are very fine indeed, and not the usual suspects of "Kreutzer", Dvorak, Brahms, Franck etc. Take a look as they're really interesting. For the finals tonight it IS Brahms, however!!

Mother, Father kindly disregard this letter!!

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:08 am

The recording quality of this is not very good. Distortion, the inability to pick up the ppp details on the Fazioli and the general impression that this is being played through a veil giving the impression of a lack of articulation from all the pianists. (I listened to more of stage 1 and stage 2 and just gave up). The sound just doesn't do any of the artists justice. When I compare this to the Cliburn sound wise well....there really isn't a comparison.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:15 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:08 am
The recording quality of this is not very good. Distortion, the inability to pick up the ppp details on the Fazioli and the general impression that this is being played through a veil giving the impression of a lack of articulation from all the pianists. (I listened to more of stage 1 and stage 2 and just gave up). The sound just doesn't do any of the artists justice. When I compare this to the Cliburn sound wise well....there really isn't a comparison.
I didn't notice that sound quality, but my hearing isn't the best now; in fact, it's in decline. But I did like the mixture of chamber music performances; one from Rimsky-Korsakov!!

How fortunate than you can hear those discrepancies in the sound quality!!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:00 pm