Furtwängler CD numbers - overwhelming!

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Furtwängler CD numbers - overwhelming!

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:34 am

As a confirmed Wilhelm Furtwängler fan, I have gone "overboard" with his output. It was nosreme's post on another thread [What NEW discs are you adding to your collection - Page 94] that illustrated an 80-CD set of live performances from 1939 to 1954 put out on the King International label from Japan. I don't have this one. Will I really need it? I highly doubt it.

I just took a count on Furtwängler in my CD collection (started in 1985) and I count 205 listings on a wide variety of labels. This means there are literally hundred and hundreds of individual recordings of Furtwängler's commercial- and recorded repertoire. This includes everything he did for EMI, including the 55-CD box set put out by EMI [52324], everything on DGG, including their 34-CD compendium [486 3789], his complete Decca [482 8537], the 107-CD Membran [233110], and numerous labels including Archipel, Audite, Arkadia, Biddulph, Classical Society, Danacord, Dutton, Elaboration, Emblem, Fonit Cetra, Gebhardt, Globe, Guild Historical, Hänssler, Koch, Living Stage, Lys, Memories, Music & Arts, Nuova Era, Orfeo (8- and 16-CD sets), TIM (Past Perfect), Pearl, Preiser, Price-Less, Radio Netherlands, Simax, Tahra, Urania, VAI, Verona, Testament and Teldec. In aa few cases, Furtwängler only appears in one selection on some of these labels. The major labels often combine labels such as Teldec and other labels owned by Universal of Warner. Is there an enormous amount of duplication/triplication, etc.? Yes, there is, but some recordings are more superior in sound that others.

So, my question is this: What has King International placed in this 80-CD box in the way of live recordings that does not already appear on any of the labels shown above? It is so common today for one company to "swipe" someone else's disc, copy it and release it, all due to the way the legal issues appear, based on a time-line. Herr Furtwängler appears on many more labels than those that are shown above. I have been very careful to not duplicate repertoire where it is obvious that is the same recording. Recording dates of live material vary and are often inaccurate so, one does have to be alert! In the case of DGG and EMI/Warner, getting their mega sets embraces also the original single-issue CDs is many cases.

The purpose of this post is not to advise anyone on how great a collector I am or showing off in any way - but illustrates my absolute interest in the art of this conductor. Any input you might have on this new KING issue though, if you are aware, will be of interest to me. ♫

Collecting Furtwängler can almost become a nightmare if one is a "completist."
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

nosreme

Re: Furtwängler CD numbers - overwhelming!

Post by nosreme » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:33 am

The Tower-King box consists of nearly all recently remastered (yes-remastered, not recopied nth generation recordings from dubious sources) CDs from impeccable sources, e.g. King bought the Tahra catalog several years ago. It's mostly for dedicated Furtwangler collectors, obviously, and am I ever glad I have it. Those who disdain it by appying a "needs test" to others' preferences completely miss the point. The set was the number one selling item on Tower/Japan's classical sales charts for several weeks after it was released (and may be now--I haven't checked).

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:14 pm

Strange that I never saw anything about the King set being available. I've done some checking, Amazon/Japan, etc., and can find no listing for the 80-CD set. How long ago was it issued and is it still being made available? Can you possibly point me to a site that may show something about this set? Much appreciated.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:43 am

Thank you, Holden. Too bad I can't read Japanese! As interesting as this may be, I am going to live with what I have and be happy with that.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

nosreme

Post by nosreme » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:16 am

That set was, and remains a Tower/JP exclusive (supposedly) limited to 500 copies. Tower/JP does not do mail orders outside Japan so we foreigners have to rely on one of the Japan-based proxy buying/shipping services. If that ebay listing is for the complete set in undamaged condition, grab it as it's about $150 - $200 less than you'd pay to buy and ship through a proxy service. The rear CD jackets are in English and contain the recording/performance dates, venue, etc.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:03 am

This is going to be extremely controversial, and I apologize to anyone whom I may have offended, but I wouldn't touch this set if I could get it for $5.00 with free shipping.

Firstly, and probably least important, I have no desire to hear standard repertoire such as Bruckner in mediocre mono sound when I can hear more modern recordings (I spent much of Friday listening to some of Barenboim's Teldec Bruckner cycle with the Berlin Philharmonic).

Additionally, orchestral standards have risen so much over the last 75 years or so that the orchestras conducted by Furtwängler in these recordings were inferior to the Fresno Philharmonic, and that does not even take into account that the Berlin Philharmonic was seriously damaged by its expulsion of Jewish players (particularly strings) after 1933 and the Vienna Philharmonic was similarly damaged after 1938. Those players who managed to survive the war and did not wind up in Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, or Treblinka did not, for the most part, return to those orchestras after the end of the war; they were safely in London, New York, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Toronto, or Melbourne and most of them wanted no part of Germany or Austria at that point.

Moreover, and most seriously, the views held by Furtwängler seriously damaged, and continue to some extent to damage, classical music. Although it is true that Furtwängler never joined the Nazi party, and that he did help some Jewish musicians, particularly early when it was still relatively easy to get out of Germany, the fact is that he clearly had many völkisch views. According to these views, there was a clear distinction between culture and civilization; culture was rural, organic and rooted in the soil and in the native population, while civilization was urban, cosmopolitan, and somewhat artificial. Austro-German classical music (i.e., Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, et al.) was actually part of culture, not civilization, and was intrinsically tied to the deep structure of the Germanic people; Jews and Slavs could not properly interpret it, no matter how technically skilled they were. This led to tropes such as "empty virtuosity," which, in Furtwängler's day, were frequently used to attack Jewish musicians, and today, are still being used to attack musicians of Asian origin. In a period in which diversity is being sought, use of these tropes is very damaging and offensive.

I realize that views and tastes may differ, but I do not understand, and have never understood, the Furtwängler cult.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:24 pm

Good for you, Modernistfan. That is really well put.

It comes back to the never-resolved question of how far do we consider the composer/performer's moral position in playing their works. Gergiev has not been in my CD player, for example, since the Russian invasion. I don't have a consistent answer, except that I suppose it depends partly on the work. I've never listened to the Horst Wessel song, for example.

In Furtwanger's case, if you dislike the playing, the other questions fall away I suppose.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:06 pm

There is a mystique of sorts about Furtwängler and it goes back to the time of his death in 1954. Most serious collectors I know collect him with great respect to his art and work. I, too, got on the bandwagon and have never regretted it. Insofar as sonics in recordings are concerned, yes, we do have vivid, lifelike recordings that far surpass in sound quality today than when Furtwängler was recorded, many times in less than ideal live conditions. Still, one hears the kind of interpretation from those legendary recordings that shines through, nonetheless. As an intense pianophile, I still find qualities in pianist's playing that take me back to the day of cylinders and acoustic recordings, Wilhelm Backhaus, for example, and given the digital technology of today, those early discs become better and better.

Insofar as Furtwängler is concerned, politically, so much that I read about him, quotes from Menuhin and so many others, that he helped many musicians through one of the most horrific periods in our time (as did Walter Gieseking). Same can be said about another artist, Elly Ney, who was considered Hitler's favorite pianist, but played for him only once (by demand) from what I read, and what Ney's daughter has reported. When she plays her Beethoven, one does not sense in the least any antisemitic qualities (we might call coldness, lack of heart, etc.) and she did play and record Mendelssohn if I recall. I do not approve of any actions taken by people who created the Holocaust and am disheartened when I find that there were many who sided with the Nazis (Cortot, for example). Then we have others, such as Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, who denied any corroboration with the Nazis until some proof came forth that indicated she did. And we could talk about Kirsten Flagstad. If we listen to any of these great artists and are knocked off our feet because of their art — without realizing their attachment to Nazisim — and then discover their true actions and philosophies, it no doubt colors our opinion of the person, but perhaps not their music-making. And how can that be?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

nosreme

Post by nosreme » Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:16 am

It's time to order some more of the Grand Slam Furtwangler releases I'd bypassed earlier

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:44 am

Kirsten Flagstadt suffered a great deal because of her marriage to a man believed to have been a profiteer during wartime. In fact, he had been arrested by the Gestapo and held for some days and his own son was in the underground. Nevertheless important people spoke out about Kirsten Flagstadt and her husband and her career never really recovered to what it once was. Outside the Oslo Opera House there is a life-sized statue of Kirsten Flagstadt, who has been brought back into the hearts of the Norwegian people.

As for Furtwängler and other German artists who haven't survived untarnished from the Nazi era - and of those for whom there are still suspicions - I can only say that this wouldn't and doesn't affect my enjoyment of their music. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau was in the Wehrmacht and he ended up in an Italian prison. Why didn't he simply refuse to fight? Why did all of Germany continue to fight and follow the orders of Hitler, especially towards the end? They could have all left Germany - like Conrad Veidt - as many people did who were not even Jewish. One such musical person to leave was Eric Kleiber and when he returned to Europe after the War he found it difficult to pick up where he'd left off because many colleagues regarded him as a traitor to the German people. That promised job at the Vienna State Opera never materialized for just this reason.

Perhaps was more prescient than Eric Kleiber. Who can say. But since none of us walked in any of their shoes it's easier to look back and judge. As far as I'm concerned the entire German nation was to blame, as they voted Hitler into power. Enthusiastically. Sometimes you just have to be a whole lot smarter.

I think this is one of the finest performances of this work I've ever heard: electric and absolutely on fire. Sound quality poor but it glows in the dark. The opening movement is so symbolic of the cataclysm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgwRtknwI8k

If the USA could use the expertise of one Werner von Braun then I don't have a problem with Wilhelm Furtwängler

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:36 am

A collector is making this 80 CD set available for free download here

http://meetinginmusic.blogspot.com/

Go to the Chat Box and search for Furtwangler. There are 4 downloads, each of 20 CDs. You may need to go to "Older Posts". They should be there for the next week or so only.

A complete listing of the performances is below - apologies for some olddities: blame Google translate!

Track information
Arranged by title, orchestra name, soloist name, recording date, performance location; L indicates live recording; SR indicates studio recording. MONO mono recording / E-STEREO suspected stereo recording / STEREO stereo recording Conductor: Furtwängler
CD 1 Handel: Concerto in D major, Op. 6 no 5 Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67 "Fate" Beethoven: Cavatina (String Quartet No. 13, Op. 130 - Fifth Movement) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra 13 September 1939 Lundfunk Hall, Berlin (L) (1,2) / 15 October 1940 Recording Studio Telefunken (SR) (3) Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2021 MONO
CD 2 Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral" ("Berlin Ninth") Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Bruno Kittel Choir, Tilla Briem (soprano), Elisabeth Hongen (alto), Peter Anders (tenor), Rudolf Watzke (bass). March 22-24, 1942, Alte Philharmonic Hall, Berlin (L) Original disc: Tahra Remastering (P)2021 MONO
CD 3 Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Chorus" (Black Beit 9) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Bruno Kittel Choir, Erna Berg (soprano), Gertrude Pitzinger (alto), Helder Rosvenge (tenor), Rudolf Watzke ( baritone). Concert on the eve of Hitler's birthday, Berlin's Alte Philharmonic Hall, April 19, 1942 (L) Original disc: VENEZIA Remastering (P)2021 MONO
CD 4 Schubert: Symphony No. 9 in C major, D.944 "The Great" Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D.759 "Unfinished" (first movement) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra December 6-8, 1942 Berlin Alte Philharmonic Hall (L) (1) / December 12, 1944 Admiral Palace (L) (2) Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2021 MONO
CD 5 Schubert: Symphony No. 9 "The Great" Vienna philharmonic Orchestra May 12, 1943 Stockholm Concert Hall (L) Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 6 1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in B flat major, Op. 60 (live recording of all movements) 2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra June 27-30, 1943 Alte Philharmonic Hall, Berlin (L) (1) Broadcast recording (2) Original disc: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2016 MONO
CD 7 1Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, Op. 58 2 Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Conrad Hansen, piano October 31 and November 3, 1943 Berlin Alte Philharmonic Hall (L) Original disc: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2023 MONO
CD 8 Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 in A major (Haas version) (2nd to 4th movements) Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 in E major, Allegro (2nd movement) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra November 13-16, 1943 Alte Philharmonic Hall, Berlin (L) (1) / April 7, 1942 Telefunken Studio, Berlin (SR) (2) Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2021 MONO
CD 9 Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral" ("Stockholm Ninth"). Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus Hjordis Schyinberg (soprano), Lisa Tunell (alto), Gosta Backelin (tenor), Sigurd Bjorling (bass). December 8, 1943, Stockholm Concert Hall (L). Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 10 1. Brahms: Symphony No. 4 2. Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68 (fourth movement) 3. Wagner: Die Meistersinger --Prelude to Act 1 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra December 12-15, 1943 Berlin Alte Philharmonic Hall (L) (1)/January 23, 1945 Admiral Palace (L) (2)/February 26, 1942 Berlin AEG Factory (L )(3) Original disc: Tahra Remastering (P)2021 MONO
CD 11 1 Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Haydn, Op. 56a 2 Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 in B flat major, Op. 83 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Adrian Aschenbach, piano December 12-15, 1943 Berlin Alte Philharmonic Hall (L) Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 12 1. R. Strauss: Sinfonia Domestica, Op. 53 2. R. Strauss: Four Songs Waldsesligkeit Op 49-1, Liebehymnus Op. 32-3, Verguhrung Op. 33-1, Winterliebe Op. 48-5 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Peter Anders, tenor January 9-12, 1944 (1) / February 15-17, 1942 (2) Alte Philharmonic Hall, Berlin (L) Original disc: SEVENSEAS Remastering (P)2017 MONO
CD 13 1Beethoven: Overture "Coriolan", Op. 62 2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 3.Wagner: "Tristan und Isolde"--Prelude and Liebestod Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra March 20-22, 1944, Berlin State Opera (L) (1) / November 8 and 9, 1942, Alte Philharmonic Hall, Berlin (L) (2) / June 27-9, 1943 , Berlin's Alte Philharmonic Hall (L) (3) Original disc: Tahra Remastering (P)2018 MONO
CD 14 1 Schubert: "Rosamund" - Intermezzo No. 3 in B flat major, Op. 26 (D.797)-7 2 Mozart: Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K. 550 Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra June 2 and 3, 1944 Vienna Konzerthaus (L) Original disc: Tahra Remastering (P)2018 MONO
CD 15 Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 in D minor (original) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. October 7, 1944 Beethovenhalle, Berlin (broadcast recording) Original disc: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2020 MONO
CD 16. Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 in C minor (Haas version) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra October 17, 1944 Vienna Konzerthaus (broadcast recording) Original disc: Tahra Remastering (P)2021 MONO
CD 17 Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica" Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. December 19 or 20, 1944 Vienna Konzerthaus (broadcast recording) Original disc: Tahra Remastering (P)2018 MONO
CD 18 Franck: Symphony in D minor Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 73 Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra January 28, 1945 Vienna Konzerthaus (L) Original disc: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2023 MONO
CD 19 1 Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 2 Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra May 25, 1947 Titania Palace, Berlin (L) Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 20 1 Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67 2 Beethoven: Overture to Egmont, Op. 84 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra May 27, 1947 Berlin Radio Hall (L) Senzach Berlin Original disc: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2022 E, STEREO
CD 21. 1. Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68 2. Beethoven: Leonora Overture 2, Op. 72a 3. Beethoven: "Leonora" Overture 2 Rehearsal Scene Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (1)/ Hamburg State Philharmonic Orchestra (2)/ Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (3) August 13, 1947 Salzburg Konzerthaus(L)(1)/ June 9, 1947 Hamburg Konzerthaus(L)(2)/ June 11, 1950 Bremen(3) Original disc: Epitagraph Remastering (P)2023 MONO (Note: 2 is the same show as CD 65. Original disc is different)
CD 22. Beethoven: "Leonora" Overture 3 Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68 Beethoven: "Leonora" Overture 3 Lucerne Festival Orchestra (1, 2)/Amsterdam Concertgebouw Orchestra (3) August 27, 1947 Lucerne Palace of Arts (L) (1, 2) / July 13, 1950 Amsterdam Concertgebouw (L) (3) Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 23 1 Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61. 2 Mendelssohn: Overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream, Op. 21 3 Mendelssohn: Overture to Fingel's Cave, Op. 26 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (1,2)/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (3)/Yehudi Menuhin (Violin) (1) September 28, 1947 Titania Palace, Berlin (L) (1,2)/ August 19, 1951 Salzburg Konzerthaus (L) (3) Original disc: SEVENSEAS Remastering(P)2017 MONO
CD 24 1 Brahms: Symphony No. 4 in E minor, Op. 98 2 Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra 22 October 1948 Gemeindehaus, Dahlem(L)(1) / 24 October 1948 Titania Palast, Berlin(L)(2) Original disc: Tahra Remastering(P)2021 MONO
CD 25 Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B minor "Unfinished" Brahms: Symphony No. 4 in E minor, Op. 98 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra October 24, 1948 Titania Palace, Berlin (L) Original disc: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2023 MONO
CD 26. Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 in C minor (Haas version) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra March 15, 1949 Titania Palast, Berlin (L) Original disc: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2019 MONO
CD 27. Mozart: Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K. 550 Brahms: Symphony No. 4 in E minor, Op. 98 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra June 10, 1949 State Theater Wiesbaden (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 28. Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 in E major (revised edition). Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. October 18, 1949 Gemeindehaus, Berlin-Dahlem (L) Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2020 MONO
CD 29 Schumann: Overture to "Manfred" Op. 115 Brahms: Symphony No. 3 in F major, Op. 90 Wagner: Siegfried's Funeral March (from the opera "Twilight of the Gods") Wagner: Prelude to Act 1 of the opera "Meistersinger of Nuremberg" Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra 18(1,2)19(3,4) December 1949 Titania Palace, Berlin (L) Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2022 MONO
CD 30 Wagner: Excerpts from "The Ring of the Nibelung" 1. "Das Rheingold": The Gods Enter into Valhalla Castle (Scene 4) 2. "Valkyrie": The winter storms are over and it is a pleasant month (Act 1, Scene 3)/Wotan's Farewell - Music of the Devil's Fire (Act 3, Scene 3) 3. "Siegfried"--The sun shines on top/No one is there/Bless the sun (Act 3, Scene 3). 4. "Twilight of the Gods" Siegfried's Funeral March (Act 3, Scene 2)/Brunnhilde's Liebestod (Act 3, Scene 3) Milan La Scala Orchestra Kirsten Flagstad (soprano), Seth Swanholm (tenor), Gunter Treptov (tenor), Ferdinand Franz (bass) )wait. March 4, 9, 22 and April 4, 1950, Teatro alla Scala (L), Milan Original: SEVENSEAS Remastering (P)2017 MONO
CD 31 1 Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica" 2 Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra June 20, 1950 (1) / September 19, 1954 (2) Titania Palace, Berlin (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 32 1 Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21 2 Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68 Amsterdam Concertgebouw Orchestra July 13, 1950 Amsterdam Concertgebouw (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 33 1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in B flat major, Op. 60. 2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67 Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra September 4, 1953, Munich, Assembly Hall of the Deutsches Museum (L)(1)/October 1, 1950, Copenhagen, Oderlo Palace (L)(2) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 34 Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral" ("Vienna No. 9 1951"). Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. January 7, 1951 Vienna Konzerthaus (L) Original: SEVENSEAS Remastering (P)2022 MONO
CD 35 1 Beethoven: "Leonora" Overture No. 2 2 Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 “Pathétique” Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra 18 October 1949 Berlin-Dahlem Greenhaus(L)(1) / 19 or 22 April 1951 Cairo(L)(2) Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 36 Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 in E major (original version = revised version) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. May 1, 1951 Auditorium of the Italian Opera, Rome (L) Original: Tahra Remastering (P) 2019 MONO
CD 37 1. R. Strauss: Symphonic Poem "Don Juan", Op. 20. 2. R. Strauss: Symphonic Poem Till Eulenspiegel Op. 28 3. R. Strauss: Symphonic Poem Tod und Verklarung", Op. 24 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (1, 2)/Hamburg State Philharmonic Orchestra (3) May 1, 1951 Rome (L) (1) / May 15, 1954 Apollo Theater, Lugano (L) (2) / June 9, 1947 Hamburg Concertgebouw (L) (3) Original version: SEVENSEAS Remastering(P)2017 MONO (Note: 2 is also included on CD 77, but is a remastering from a different year)
CD 38. French modern music selection 1 Debussy: Nuages et Fetes from "Nocturne" 2 Ravel: Spanish Rhapsody 3 Honegger: Third Symphony Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra(1,3)/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra(2) May 1, 1951 Rome(L)(1)/October 22, 1951 Stuttgart(L)(2)/February 10, 1952 Berlin(L)(3) Original version: SEVENSEAS Remastering(P)2016 MONO
CD 39 Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral" (Bayreuth's "Ninth") Bayreuth Festival Orchestra and Choir Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (soprano), Elisabeth Hongen (alto), Hans Hopf (tenor), Otto Edelmann (bass) July 29, 1951 Bayreuth Theater (L). Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2019 MONO
CD 40 Bruckner: Symphony No. 5 in B flat major (original version) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra August 19, 1951, Salzburg Concert Hall (L) Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2015 MONO
CD 41 Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 in E flat major (revised version) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra 22 October 1951, Stuttgart, Waldheim de Glohe (L) Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2020 MONO
CD 42 Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Haydn, Op. 56a Brahms: Symphony No. 1 North German Radio Symphony Orchestra October 27, 1951 Hamburg Concert Hall (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 43. 1. Haydn: Symphony No. 88 in G major 'V' 2. Beethoven: Overture "Coriolan" Op. 62 Schumann: Symphony No. 1 in B flat major, Op. 38 "Spring" vienna philharmonic orchestra October 22, 1951 Waldheim de Glohe, Stuttgart(L)(1)/October 29, 1951 Auditorium, Deutsches Museum, Munich(L)(2,3) Original: Tahra Remastering (P)2019 MONO
CD 44. Bruckner: Symphony No. 4 in E flat major "Romance" vienna philharmonic orchestra October 29, 1951, Munich, Deutsches Museum Grand Hall (L) Original: Tahra Remastering (P)2019 MONO
CD 45/46 Furtwängler in Rome (pastoral, fate, hero) 1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68, "Pastoral" Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67, "Destiny" Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55, "Eroica" Rome RAI Italian Radio Symphony Orchestra Recording: January 10 (1, 2) and 19 (3), 1952, Auditorium RAI, Teatro Italiana, Rome (L) Original: SEVENSEAS Remastering (P)2022 MONO
CD 47 Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 4 in G major, Op. 58 Wagner: Siegfried Madrigal Wagner: "Tristan und Isolde"--Prelude and LiebestodRome Italian Radio Symphony Orchestra(1)/Turin Italian Radio Symphony Orchestra(2,3) Pietro Scarpini (piano) (1) Rome, 19 January 1952(1)/Torino, 6 June 1952(2)/Torino, 11 March 1952(3) (L) Original: SEVENSEAS Remastering (P)2017 MONO
CD 48 1. Brahms: Double Concerto for Violin and Cello in A minor, Op. 102. 2. Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Haydn, Op. 56a Weber: Overture to the opera Der Freischuz Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (1,3)/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (2) Violin: Willy Boskovsky; Cello: Emmanuel Brabec (1) January 27, 1952, Vienna Konzerthaus (L) (1) / June 20, 1950, Berlin Titania Palace (L) (2) / July 26, 1954, Salzburg Opera House ( L)(3) Original version: SEVENSEAS Remastering(P)2017 MONO
CD 49 Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral" ("Vienna Ninth 1952") vienna philharmonic orchestra Vienna Chamber Choir Hilde Gueden (soprano), Rosette Anday (alto), Julius Patzak (tenor), Alfred Poll (bass). February 3, 1952 Vienna Konzerthaus (L). Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 50 1. Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Haydn, Op. 56a 2. Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra May 4, 1954 Paris Opera (L) (1)/February 10, 1952 Berlin Titania Palace (L) (2) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2021 MONO
CD 51 Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor, Op. 64 Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D. 759 "Unfinished" Turin Radio Symphony Orchestra of Italy Gioconda de Vito (violin) March 11, 1952, Concert Hall of the Conservatory of Turin (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 52 1. Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op. 73 2. Weber: Overture to the opera Der Freischutz" Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra(1)/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra(2) May 7, 1952, Munich Congress Hall(L)(1)/July 26, 1954, Salzburg Opera House(L)(2) Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 53 1. Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64 2. Haydn: Symphony No. 88 in G major Turin Italian Radio Symphony Orchestra June 6, 1952, Concert Hall of the Conservatory of Turin (L)(1)/March 3, 1952, Auditorium of Montebello, Turin (L)(2). Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering(P)2022 MONO
CD 54 Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21 Mahler: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen vienna philharmonic orchestra Alfredo Pohl (bass) (2) November 30, 1952 Vienna Konzerthaus (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 55. 1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica". 2. Beethoven: "Egmont" Overture vienna philharmonic orchestra November 30, 1952 Vienna Konzerthaus(L)(1)/September 4, 1953 Munich Congress Hall(L)(2) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 56. Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica". Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. December 7, 1952 Titania Palast, Berlin (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 57. Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica". Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. December 8, 1952, Titania Palace, Berlin (L). Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 58 Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92 2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 in F major, Op. 93 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra April 14, 1953 Titania Palast, Berlin (L) Original: Tahra Remastering (P)2018 MONO
CD 59. 1. Ravel: "Elegant and Sentimental Waltz" - Rehearsal (partial rehearsal and complete performance) 2. Stravinsky: Symphonic Suite from Ballet "Fairy's Kiss" Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra April 15, 1953 NWDR Studio (Rehearsal) (1)/ May 18, 1953 Titania Palace, Berlin (L) (2) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2021 MONO
CD 60 Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61 Beethoven: Overture to "Egmont", Op. 84 Pfitzner: Three Preludes from the Opera Palestrina Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Violin: Wolfgang Schneiderhan (1) May 18, 1953 Titania Palace, Berlin (L) (1) / May 27, 1947 Lundjonks (L) (2) / June 10, 1949 State Theater Wiesbaden ( L)(3) Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2020 MONO
CD 61 Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op. 68 Weber: Overture (Overture) to the opera "The Magic Bullet" Strauss: Symphonic Poem "Don Juan" Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra May 18, 1953 (1) / December 8, 1952 (2) / April 27, 1954 (3) Titania Palace, Berlin (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 62. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Chorus" ("Otto Nicolai Concert No. 9") Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Vienna Chamber Choir. Irmgard Seefried (soprano), Rosette Anday (alto), Anton Dermota (tenor), Paul Schoeffler (bass). May 30, 1953 Vienna Konzerthaus (L). Original: Epitagraph Remastering (P)2019 MONO
CD 63. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choals" ("Vienna Art Week Ninth") Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, Vienna Chamber Choir Irmgard Seefried (soprano), Rosette Anday (alto), Anton Dermota (tenor), Paul Schoeffler (bass). May 31, 1953 Vienna Konzerthaus (L). Original: Reprinted by the Furtwängler Association of Japan (P)2021 MONO
CD 64 Brahms: Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77 Schumann: Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 120 Turin Radio Symphony Orchestra of Italy, Giaconda de Vito (violin) (1)/Lucerne Festival Orchestra (2) March 7, 1952, Concert Hall of the Conservatory of Turin (L) (1) / August 26, 1953, Lucerne Palace of Arts (L) (2). Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 65. 1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 55 "Eroica" 2. Beethoven: "Leonora" Overture 2 Lucerne Festival Orchestra (1) / Hamburg State Philharmonic (2) August 26, 1953 Lucerne Museum (L) (1)/ June 9, 1947 Hamburg Concertgebouw (L) (2) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO (Note: 2 is the same performance as CD 21. The original recording is different)
CD 66. 1. Hindemith: Symphony "Harmony of the World" 2. Hindemith: Concerto for Orchestra, Op. 38 Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (1) / Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (2) August 30, 1953 Salzburg Opera House (L) (1) / June 20, 1950 Berlin Titania Palace (L) (2) Original version: SEVENSEAS Remastering(P)2023 STEREO(1)/ MONO(2)
CD67 Schubert: Symphony No. 9 in C major, D.944 "The Great" Beethoven: "Leonora" Overture 3 vienna philharmonic orchestra August 30, 1953 (1) / August 5, 1950 (2) Salzburg Opera House (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 68. 1. Schubert: Symphony No. 8 "Unfinished" 2. Schubert: Symphony No. 9 "The Great" Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra September 15, 1953 Titania Palace, Berlin (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 69/70 1. Furtwängler: Symphony No. 2 in E minor 2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op. 21 stuttgart radio symphony orchestra Stuttgart (L) March 30, 1954 Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering (P)2020 MONO
CD 71/72. Bruckner: Symphony No. 8 in C minor (revised edition) vienna philharmonic orchestra April 10, 1954 Vienna Konzerthaus (L) Original: SEVENSEAS Remastering (P)2017 MONO
CD 73 1. Brahms: Symphony No. 3 in F major, Op. 90 2. Beethoven: Overture No. 2 in C major "Leonora", Op. 72 Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra April 27, 1954 Titania Palace, Berlin (L)(1) / April 4 and 5, 1954 Hochschule für Musik Berlin (SR)(2) Original: GRAND SLAM Remastering(P)2022 MONO
CD 74 Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D.759 "Unfinished" Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67, "Fate" Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra May 4, 1954 Paris Opera (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 75. 1. Brahms: Symphony No. 3 in F major, Op. 90 2. Strauss: Symphonic Poem "The Prank of Tier" Wagner: "Tristan und Isolde"--Prelude and Liebestod Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra 14 May 1954 Radio Turin Auditorium (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2019 MONO
CD 76/77 1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 "Pastoral" 2. Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 20 in D minor, K.466 R. Strauss: Symphonic Poem Till Eulenspiegel Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Yvonne Lefevre (piano) May 15, 1954 Apollo Theater Lugano (L) Original version: SEVENSEAS Remastering(P)2022 MONO (Note: 3 is also included on CD 37, but is a Remastering version from a different year)
CD 78. Beethoven: Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op. 68 "Pastoral" Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 67 "Destiny" Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra May 23, 1954 Titania Palace, Berlin (L) Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 79. Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral" ("Lucerne Ninth") Philharmonic Orchestra, Lucerne Festival Choir. Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (soprano), Elsa Caverti (alto), Ernst Haefliger (tenor), Otto Edelmann (bass). August 22, 1954 Kunsthalle Lucerne (L). Original: Tahra Remastering(P)2018 MONO
CD 80 1. Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op. 92 2. Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 in F major, Op. 93 vienna philharmonic orchestra August 30, 1954 Salzburg Concert Hall (L) Original: SEVENSEAS Remastering (P)2022 MONO
Note: Due to record company composition reasons, some recordings include studio recordings (not live performances)

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:08 pm

Thank you for that extended listing Philip M. I was most interested to see what collaborations were in this massive set. Picking out names, I was able to survey my own collection was happy to see that most of those collaborations (if not all) have appeared on other independent labels, artists such as Schneiderhan, Hansen, Aeschbacher, Scarpini, de Vito, Scarpini, and others. They may not be identical performance dates but conductor and soloist would be the same. It is amazing to me, too, how many times Beethoven's 9th was performed! I have a number of them already but certainly not every one. These labels would be Tahra, Archipel, Music & Arts, Arbiter, and quite a few others. So much Furtwängler out there on so many labels not to mention the major labels.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief