Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra in Binghamton, New York

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Sofia Philharmonic Orchestra in Binghamton, New York

Post by Lance » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:50 pm

On Saturday, February 10, 2024, the Anderson Center for the Performing Arts, on the campus of Binghamton University, hosted an all-Beethoven program. The program consisted of the Coriolan Overture, Op. 62, the Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major, Op. 73 ("Emperor"), concluding with the Symphony No. 7 in A Minor, op. 92, all conducted by Nayden Todorov, principal conductor of the Sofia Philharmonic.

It was my pleasure to prepare the piano for the seventeen-year-old pianist, Ivaylo Vassilev, who has an impressive background in studies, awards, and performances. The well-packed house rose to their feet after the performance eliciting shouts, bravos, and plaudits for a magnificent performance. This brought forth a solo encore, Bach's chorale prelude, "Ich ruf zu dir," which illustrated another side of the pianist's remarkable abilities and concept of the piece. It would have been good to have at least one more encore! Never before have I heard a teenager perform Beethoven's masterpiece, the "Emperor."

Prior to the performance, I sat with pianist enjoying a light lunch and some discussion. His grasp of English was excellent. Among the questions I asked him was how the classical music scene looked in his native country, Bulgaria. He said, paraphrasing, "Not much ... people are not generally studying classical music instead opting for the popular music of today." I thought that to be reflective of what is happening in many countries, including the USA from my own observations.

Nonetheless, a rewarding music experience especially for an audience who seemed to appreciate every moment. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]