Speaking of TESTAMENT CDs ...

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Speaking of TESTAMENT CDs ...

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:55 pm

This is a label I have cherished greatly, who licensed recordings from EMI/Warner, RCA, Decca and some other labels. Over the years I've collected over 250 of their CDs and was happy to have them all. The question is: I haven't seen anything new from Testament of late. Are they still in business?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Holden Fourth

Re: Speaking of TESTAMENT CDs ...

Post by Holden Fourth » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:23 pm

I've just checked their website and it looks as if they are still going strong with new releases advertised, etc.

https://testament.co.uk/

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:27 pm

Hmm ... I looked around Testament's site and found they are issuing LPs, but could not find any brand new issues and I was always looking. It's probably been quite a few years since I've acquired anything on the label. Maybe I missed something looking at their site but appreciate your checking this out for me!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 pm

Lance - your reference to the Testament label jogged me to listen, for the umpteenth time, to one of my top piano recordings: Solomon performing Chopin (SBT 1030). I'm sure you have it - if not, you're missing some awfully fine piano playing.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:50 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 pm
Lance - your reference to the Testament label jogged me to listen, for the umpteenth time, to one of my top piano recordings: Solomon performing Chopin (SBT 1030). I'm sure you have it - if not, you're missing some awfully fine piano playing.
This is one of two of the best Chopin recordings I've ever heard. (The other is Sokolov's all Chopin live recital in Amsterdam in 2005) It's also a Desert Island disc for me.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:45 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:50 pm
This is one of two of the best Chopin recordings I've ever heard. (The other is Sokolov's all Chopin live recital in Amsterdam in 2005) It's also a Desert Island disc for me.
It would be on my desert island also.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 pm

Febnyc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:45 pm
Holden Fourth wrote:
We're gonna' need a bigger island.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:19 pm

Yes, I wouldn't be without that Solomon disc. He is among my top pianists ... sheer musicianship and heart with no sugar, just the real thing! Thanks for the recommendation, but if it's Solomon, Moiseiwitsch, Rubinstein, Horowitz, Hess, Fischer and countless others, I've broken my neck to get it! If you have a chance, listen to his Beethoven Sonata No. 32 - he recorded it twice (first one appeared on an RCA LP) and is a showstopper, but both are outstanding and both (I believe) have made it to CD.
Febnyc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:48 pm
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

barney

Post by barney » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:31 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:04 pm
Febnyc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:45 pm
Holden Fourth wrote:
We're gonna' need a bigger island.
Australia? :lol:

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:11 am

When most people think of Solomon they associate him with the classical and early romantic repertoire (Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, etc). So when you tell people that you need to listen to this disc they frequently don't bother.

However, if you look at Solomon's life as a pianist you can understand where these performances come from.

Brian Crimp wrote a biography of Solomon called "Solo" that is fascinating reading and will give you an understanding of why Solomon is so accomplished in these works.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:51 pm

Indeed, it is! I've had that from APR (Appian) since 1998. John Hurt, a compiler, also wrote a book entitled "Pianists for the Connoisseur" that offers bio information on Solomon, Michelangeli, Cortot, Weissenberg, Curzon, etc.
Holden Fourth wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:11 am
When most people think of Solomon they associate him with the classical and early romantic repertoire (Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, etc). So when you tell people that you need to listen to this disc they frequently don't bother.

However, if you look at Solomon's life as a pianist you can understand where these performances come from.

Brian Crimp wrote a biography of Solomon called "Solo" that is fascinating reading and will give you an understanding of why Solomon is so accomplished in these works.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief