Bartok's Piano Concertos (1, 2, 3)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Bartok's Piano Concertos (1, 2, 3)

Post by Lance » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:54 pm

Another thread brings up Bartok's piano concertos with specific reference to No. 2, which is, according to most, the truly pianistically difficult one. In looking over the recordings of Bartok's three piano concertos, and specifically No. 2, it is not a work I listen to frequently, nor of 1 or 3. Oddly, it seems many pianists of note tackle Nos. 1 and 3 but not necessarily No. 2, though some have recorded all three. All three piano concertos are well represented on discs. In my own case, with No. 2, there are some remarkable recordings of the work. These I have: Entremont, Ashkenazy, Kovacevich, Rogé, Anda (several versions), Cziffra, Richter (several), Kentner, Weissenberg, and Lang Lang. One that used to be on a Melodiya CD (now only on download) featured John Ogdon with the BBC Orchestra under Boulez, recorded on tour in Russia. That is the one I would really like to hear on CD given Ogdon/Boulez, both of whom enjoyed performing these more "modern-day" works .
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Re: Bartok's Piano Concertos (1, 2, 3)

Post by Rach3 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:46 am

Fww:

I have the DGG lp of the late Maurizio Pollini playing the Bartok PCs # 1 and # 2 with Claudio Abbada,Chicago Sym., stunning performances you may wish to hear. Also have Gyorgy Sandor in #2,# 3 in an lp Vox box, Sandor being considered the leading Bartok pianist of his day I believe.Have also a cd recording of # 1 with John Ogdon and Malcolm Sargent in 1965.

Your 1967 live #1 with Ogdon and Boulez is on cd available at Presto Classics.

Others in my collection are a # 2 with Jeremy Denk,Katherine Kanellakis,BBC Symphony live, Deszo Ranki,Zoltan Kocsis conducting in #1, # 2,#3 live, and Andras Schiff live in # 3 with Hungarian State Orchestra,Janos Ferencsik.

If one were interested in any of the above,I'd suggest # 1 with Pollini and # 3 with Sandor and Schiff.# 3 is one of my top 5 fav PCs.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:04 am

i own one CD of all three - Sandor with Hungarian SO/Fischer - on Sony.

Although Bartók isn't high on my listening curve, I do cotton to the PCs and these performances keep me interested.

Modernistfan

Post by Modernistfan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:15 am

I have Bronfman with Salonen conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Bronfman is well-suited to these works (also to Prokofiev's concertos). Bartók, particularly in his first two concertos, almost treats the piano as a percussion instrument. (Interestingly, the word for "piano" in Hungarian is the very percussive-sounding zongora.)

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:05 am

Lance wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:54 pm
One that used to be on a Melodiya CD (now only on download) featured John Ogdon with the BBC Orchestra under Boulez, recorded on tour in Russia. That is the one I would really like to hear on CD given Ogdon/Boulez, both of whom enjoyed performing these more "modern-day" works .
Presto's is not a physical cd, but they do offer a Hi-Res FLAC of that Melodiya:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/p ... -1967-live

Belle

Post by Belle » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:00 pm

Modernistfan wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:15 am
I have Bronfman with Salonen conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Bronfman is well-suited to these works (also to Prokofiev's concertos). Bartók, particularly in his first two concertos, almost treats the piano as a percussion instrument. (Interestingly, the word for "piano" in Hungarian is the very percussive-sounding zongora.)
This is interesting as I found Bronfman boring in Vienna when playing Beethoven. And both Bartok and Prokofiev wrote percussive piano concertos. The piano is actually a percussive instrument because a hammer strikes a steel string, which is under great pressure. Not at all like the harpsichord where the string is PLUCKED. Lance will tell about it!

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:50 am

Belle wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:00 pm
This is interesting as I found Bronfman boring in Vienna when playing Beethoven. And both Bartok and Prokofiev wrote percussive piano concertos. The piano is actually a percussive instrument because a hammer strikes a steel string, which is under great pressure.
Bartok's 3rd PC is much less percussive than the other two, as you know, one of the reasons it is in my top 5 or 6 of all PCs.Written very near the end of his life I believe.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:00 pm

Until only quite recently I confess I found Bartok's PC rather derivative. They still are, to an extent, but I can appreciate the complexity and musicality which has now overcome any reservations I've had.

What about his string quartets??!! They're 'difficult'.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:19 pm

Belle wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:00 pm

Indeed they are.I listen only to Nos. 2 and 5.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:50 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:19 pm
Belle wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:00 pm

Indeed they are.I listen only to Nos. 2 and 5.
Hats off!! I'm really still at the No. 1 stage myself.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:21 pm

I'm kind of like you, not "cottoning" to Bartók being on my "general" listening curve. I do enjoy his Hungarian Sketches, Romanian Dances and very much favor the Allegro Barbaro for piano, Out of Doors, etc. I don't avoid him, but do not get from the composer as much as I wish. The piano concertos for moi take some real concentration (the poor pianos!). From recordings I have of Bartók the pianist, he plays well!
Febnyc wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:04 am
i own one CD of all three - Sandor with Hungarian SO/Fischer - on Sony.

Although Bartók isn't high on my listening curve, I do cotton to the PCs and these performances keep me interested.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]