Edda Moser, soprano

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Edda Moser, soprano

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:56 pm

Here's a name of a singer that doesn't pop up very much and surely should. Edda Moser, a German-born soprano [1938], and as I write this, she's 85 and still living. Given my interest in artists of all kinds, especially pianists and singers, back in 2013 I stumbled upon a nine-CD box set [28281] of EMI's Electrola branch's set of her opera and lieder recitals. Here's a silvery voice with a liquid quality encompassing a lovely range that works for opera and lieder. This Electrola edition (not sure it is even available any longer) contains world premieres on CD all having been previously released on LP having been recorded between 1972 and 1985 or thereabouts. Being especially interested in lieder, we have much here: Richard Strauss, Pfitzner, Schumann, Wolf, Schubert, an operatic recital featuring Beethoven, Gluck, Handel, Strauss, Wagner, and Weber. An all-Mozart opera disc features arias and excerpts from Magic Flute, Don Giovanni, Idomeneo, Clemenza di Tito, and two concert arias, and some religious music.

Her collaborators throughout the set include pianists Leonard Hokanson (Schubert lieder), Erik Werba (in many CDs), Christoph Eschenbach; singers include Fischer-Dieskau, Walter Berry, Nicolai Gedda, Hanna Schwarz, and a few conductors. Moser sang mostly throughout German, Austria, and debuted at the Met in 1968 in Wagner, and continuing to sing there in nine seasons. Several of her Schubert songs — Die junge Nonne — and Delphine were particularly outstanding. I was happy to see American pianist, Leonard Hokanson, as her accompanist. Hokanson made quite a career for himself in Germany as a pianist.

Overall, this is a strikingly lovely voice, but one is aware of a bit of a wobble in places, and occasional singing under pitch, with a sometimes "guttural" sound in her mid-range. Just going over my shelf and spotting this set, not having heard it in a while, I thought it would be good to bring Moser's name forward on CMG. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Edda Moser, soprano

Post by maestrob » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:10 am

Thanks for bringing up Edda Moser, Lance! Here are two arias to add to the discussion.

Edda Moser sings Liebestod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqAlOq_5uJw

Edda Moser sings the Queen of the Night's aria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpI4uxcfY-4

Not many sopranos can sing both arias, especially the Queen of the Night in their 60s!