Yuja Wang in Vienna - a preview

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

Yuja Wang in Vienna - a preview

Post by Belle » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:30 pm

This recital was held last night and the comments posted below suggest that the audience in the Wiener Konzerthaus 'went wild'.

The recital may be posted on YouTube or become otherwise available, but from the very brief excerpts here I feel she is becoming very mannered as a pianist. I've noticed this in her previous performances; the alternating ff and pp irrespective of whether the score has called for this. There seems to be little in between these two dynamics.

Phenomenal technique yes, memory off the charts, sure (though she's using a score in these highlights) - but something is missing here. I'm finding myself less and less satisfied with Yuja Wang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKTx0cvE6Kw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJkeKmtLnDY

Does any solo musician take a risk in responding to the clamour of the audience?

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Yuja Wang in Vienna - a preview

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:51 am

Interesting to watch Yuja in these clips. I've never seen her use music whilst playing live though unless it's a chamber music recital. About whether artists risk the clamour of the audience, I think it gives them even more power to be successful and precise especially when traversing a major, virtuosic program [huge adrenalin boost]. (I believe Horowitz played under those conditions - and succeeded.)
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:24 am

Phenomenal technique but I'm not sure that the musicality is there.

Belle

Post by Belle » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:21 am

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:16 pm

Agree with Holden on "musicality" many times regarding Yuja; virtuosity seems more apparent. Kantorow played beautifully and with heart!
Belle wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:21 am
Ah, this is more like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHRet0CDWw4
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

barney

Post by barney » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:00 pm

Lance wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:51 am
Interesting to watch Yuja in these clips. I've never seen her use music whilst playing live though unless it's a chamber music recital. About whether artists risk the clamour of the audience, I think it gives them even more power to be successful and precise especially when traversing a major, virtuosic program [huge adrenalin boost]. (I believe Horowitz played under those conditions - and succeeded.)
Vikingur Olafsson definitely responded to the audience in his extremely virtuoso take on the Goldberg Variations in Melbourne last month. Later Olafsson did a brilliant interview in front of the Steinway with Andrew Ford on the ABC's The Music Show. 54 minutes, but revelatory.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/ ... /103551550