Konstantin Lifschitz, pianist

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Konstantin Lifschitz, pianist

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:25 pm

I've mentioned Konstantin Lifschitz, pianist, on a few threads by now. As a radio broadcaster, I am always listening to new things, new artists, new (historical) artists, but this Russian, Lifschitz is dynamite! The recording I'm hearing is his London debut recital of Couperin, Brahms, and Rachmaninoff on Denon 78773. At this point, Lifschitz was a mere 19 years old when this live recording was made. It is not the complete recital due to time limitations of a single CD. He planned a program that works well; one can only imagine the nervousness of presenting a debut recital in a city like London! He starts off with a series of pieces (10) from the Second Book of Pieces de Clavecin - a cycle full of color that would work well with the available stops of a harpsichord, but other grand kinds of colors on a glorious-sounding concert grand piano. Then moves easily into music by Brahms: Variations on an Original Theme, Op. 21/1 followed by Op. 21/2, Variations on a Hungarian Song. He concludes with six Preludes by Rachmaninoff from his Op. 32 set. The transition from composer is done with great consideration and works just fine.

Lifschitz was born in Kharkov (Ukraine) in 1976) - a place I have been and enjoyed enormously, among the most beautiful places of the old Soviet Union. While I'm not necessarily looking for specific artists, Lifschitz came to the fore after his collaboration with violinist Hideko Udagawa (she seems to have a penchant for using Russian pianists based on CDs). But then you will find Lifschitz on Danacord, Denon, Newport, Orfeo, Nimbus, Signum, Willowhayne, Hänssler (with violinist Dimitry Sitkovetsky in the complete Mozart violin sonatas), Sterling, Warner Classics, Toccata, and Solo Musica. There may be other labels. Problem with some is they are only available by download (especially Denon and Warner). Why Lifschitz doesn't have his own, consistent major label is beyond me. It's got be tough today with so many highly gifted new(er) pianists emerging on the scene to not only to have a career but to have a record label. But now almost 50 years of age, he would be at his peak. ♫
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Konstantin Lifschitz, pianist

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 am

I said I was done buying Beethoven's complete 32 piano sonatas. Well, that didn't happen. I've fallen in love with the music-making of Konstantin Lifschitz - 10 CD set on Alpha, all recorded live. Now, unless someone comes up with all 32 with Vladimir Horowitz, I'm done getting any more, and I know that the Horowitz won't happen. I truly, truly, do have enough at this point in life. Incidentally, he also made recordings for the Orfeo label - and I've discovered seven concertos by J. S. Bach on that label, which I already had but slipped my mind.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 pm

The "32" arrived, and I've listened to Sonata #32, Op. 111 - fine live performance, with one questionable spot in the first movement. I liked it, but it wasn't Solomon. I could have avoided this set, but much more listening is in store. Incidentally, a Steinway was used - not a Bechstein in these performances.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

premont

Post by premont » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 am

As I've mentioned elsewhere, most recording artists offer a unique perspective on music, and Lifschitz's interpretation of Beethoven's sonatas is no exception. I have no regrets at all about purchasing it.

Regarding Beethoven's sonatas, I'd like to suggest a collection that has been the most awesome I've encountered in a long time, blending Backhaus' precision with Annie Fischer's expressiveness. Although I haven't listened to the entire set, I have heard a large portion of it.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/p ... no-sonatas

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:34 pm

Indeed, the Annie Fischer/Hungaroton set [41003, nine CDs] is a must-have. I read, somewhere, that it wasn't released until after she passed away because she was not happy with her Beethoven project. That set has garnered some high praise since it was issued.
premont wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 am
As I've mentioned elsewhere, most recording artists offer a unique perspective on music, and Lifschitz's interpretation of Beethoven's sonatas is no exception. I have no regrets at all about purchasing it.

Regarding Beethoven's sonatas, I'd like to suggest a collection that has been the most awesome I've encountered in a long time, blending Backhaus' precision with Annie Fischer's expressiveness. Although I haven't listened to the entire set, I have heard a large portion of it.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/p ... no-sonatas
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

premont

Post by premont » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:24 pm

Lance wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:34 pm
Indeed, the Annie Fischer/Hungaroton set [41003, nine CDs] is a must-have. I read, somewhere, that it wasn't released until after she passed away because she was not happy with her Beethoven project. That set has garnered some high praise since it was issued.

We certainly concur on the merits of Annie Fischer's Beethoven sonata collection, yet it was Tamami Honma's remarkable set that I suggested in my previous post.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm

Yes, but I'm unfamiliar with Tamami Honma's work. Dare I go for it? (I said no more Beethoven 32s ... but you know what happens.).
premont wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:24 pm
Lance wrote:

We certainly concur on the merits of Annie Fischer's Beethoven sonata collection, yet it was Tamami Honma's remarkable set that I suggested in my previous post.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

premont

Post by premont » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 am

Lance wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm
Yes, but I'm unfamiliar with Tamami Honma's work. Dare I go for it? (I said no more Beethoven 32s ... but you know what happens.).
premont wrote:
Lance wrote:

You can get an idea of her style through YouTube at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +beethoven

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:00 pm

premont wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 am
Lance wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:27 pm
premont wrote:
Lance wrote:

You can get an idea of her style through YouTube at the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +beethoven

Thanks for the suggestion of Honma,my first hearing of her. Today I heard her recordings of 3 of my fav Beethoven Sonatas,Nos.25,31 and 11 on YT and agree very impressive. I'm not in the market to add another complete set, but may consider a FLAC download of a couple. The entire set is at YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHT9Dqz ... Z&index=37

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:06 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:00 pm
Today I heard her recordings of 3 of my fav Beethoven Sonatas,Nos.25,31 and 11 on YT and agree very impressive. I'm not in the market to add another complete set, but may consider a FLAC download of a couple. The entire set is at YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHT9Dqz ... Z&index=37
Have now heard my remaining favs ( except for No.17 tomorrow ),ie.Nos.3,5,18,21 and 30. Very fine playing indeed, a set I'd consider. If one were interested in a smaller sample,I'd suggest Nos.3,18,30.

Tamami Honma bio: https://www.tamamihonma.com/bio

Gramophone positive review of her Beethoven 32 set ; I'm in agreement if a bit more enthusiastic than the reviewer:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/internatio ... 20my%20ear).