Audience behaviors

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Audience behaviors

Post by Rach3 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 am

In Britain no less,From SlippedDisk today:

TENOR STOPS MID-CONCERT TO DENOUNCE NEW BIRMINGHAM RULES
ORCHESTRAS
Norman Lebrecht
April 18, 2024

The tenor Ian Bostridge shocked Symphony Hall Birmingham last night by stopping after the third song in Britten’s Les Illuminations to denounce the CBSO’s new audience rules, which read:

“We are very happy for you to take photographs and short video clips at our concerts, but please refrain from recording the whole performance.”

Bostridge, a thoughtful, courteous man, stepped forward and – clearly fuming – requested that audience members turn off their phone cameras. He said taking photographs was ‘extremely distracting’ for a performer.

The relaxation of concert etiquette has been a major reform brought in by the CBSO’s chief executive, Emma Stenning.

Regular audience members joined Bostridge in their dismay at last night’s disuptions. Several applauded Bostridge’s announcement. Others have written to slippedisc.com.

One attender writes: ‘It strikes me as extraordinary that Ms Stenning, the CEO, comes from a theatre background, and yet does not seem to know that phone cameras etc are the bane of actors’ lives. Why might she assume that musicians are different?

‘I would not be at all surprised if Mr Bostridge never returns to Symphony Hall. Bravo him for standing up on this one. But one cannot be surprised at this absurd situation if the CBSO management positively encourage this. Audiences are now getting mixed messages… Surely it would have been better to have left it as things were. It is the CBSO management who have caused this upset. Poor leadership here.’

Stenning was in the audience last night, looking uncomfortable.

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Audience behaviors

Post by Lance » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 pm

I don't blame Bostridge one bit. I sit it many live concerts, for the music, appraising my pianos, acoustics of the place, etc., et al. I see everything in bad audience behavior - candy wrappers, phones beeping or ringing, people trying to take photos with phones, clapping inappropriately, picking their noses - you name it. I have discussions with artists about people recording their concerts and in four words: "they don't like it." (On the other hand, I do appreciate some concerts that have been recorded surreptitiously!) Ms. Stemming should sit there looking uncomfortable ... she has a lot of ... nerve to suggest what she did with or without artist approval.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Re: Audience behaviors

Post by Belle » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 pm

A wonderful artist whose work I enjoy - in certain repertoire. Good on him for having the chops to tell it like it is. Relaxing rules; yes that always works a treat, doesn't it!! You can trust people to moderate their own behaviour, really you can. (I'm waiting for that relaxation on the use of seat-belts!!)

I love intelligent musicians!! And his Monteverdi is to-die-for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZc20T4mGfM