Anyone see the Met's "La Rondine" simulcast today?

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

slofstra

Anyone see the Met's "La Rondine" simulcast today?

Post by slofstra » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:29 pm

Or, did you see it live? If so, even better.

This was my first time back to an in theatre simulcast since before the COVID pandemic. (I did subscribe to the online Met HD service for a time during the pandemic, and I may do that again.)
I'm posting my impressions, not as a formal review, but just to chat with anyone who may have attended and compare notes.

A few observations.

Angel Blue was terrific; her voice had me in rapture throughout. Incredible.
I also really liked the voice of Bekhzod Davronov, generally a warm tenor voice, and still with plenty of power when needed.
Also, Emily Pogorelc did not bowl you over, but the role did not call for that; she was perfect in the role of Lisette. Delightful comic role.

The opera itself is fascinating. I've never seen an opera with such meagre plot development. However, the aura created in the first two acts draws you in -- it captures the magic of Paris so well, the joie de vivre, and gratefulness for a life well lived, while also conveying a sense of life's fleetingness and the loss we experience with age and the passage of time.
The second act closes with a number that feels like a finale, and you wonder if it's over. And subsequently I wished that this had been the case.
The third act was a letdown. The first problem is the opera itself. The third act is anti-climactic and feels very much like Puccini wanted to tack on a bit of drama - sorry, it doesn't cut it. This isn't like any other Puccini opera; it's more celebratory and a homage than a deep tragedy.
The second problem with the third act lay in the performance. The last act includes a number of duets with Magda and her lover, Ruggero. At the beginning of the performance, the audience was advised that Jonathan Tetelman who played Ruggero, was suffering from allergies, and please make allowances.
The problem throughout the opera was that Tetelman sang everything full force. His voice didn't seem hindered by allergies in the least, other than a few high notes in the last act. But not a big deal. It was the constant fortissimo (hyperbolically speaking) with no nuance that was the issue. An audience member with whom I chatted felt that Tetelman was over-compensating for his perceived, diminished faculties. Whether true or not, this explanation fits. And therein lay a problem with Act 3, in which Tetelman had a much larger part than the earlier acts. I also felt that Angel Blue had to strain to match Tetelman in the duets and they didn't really work for me. This wasn't Mimi and Alfredo, that's for sure.
So the singing was annoying, but I think that for the third Act to work, it should convey wistfulness and loss. It shouldn't be sung with the dramatic intensity of a Tosca or Madama Butterfly. So I don't know if the essential problem here was the opera, the approach in performance or Tetelman's struggle. Perhaps all three combined.
So between the plot weakness, and the vocal issues, and after experiencing the phenomenal Second Act, the third was a letdown. I've written overly much about the problems of the third act, but the first two were rapturous. So overall, I came away very happy from the experience. As did my companion, my youngest brother, also an opera lover.

lennygoran

Re: Anyone see the Met's "La Rondine" simulcast today?

Post by lennygoran » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:18 am

Henry we still subscribe to Met On Demand-we like the opera and saw it HD style awhile back Also we recently watched it at home On Demand-very enjoyable for us. Regards, Len

The Met describes it this way:

Puccini’s achingly beautiful score charmingly conveys the plight of Magda (the “swallow” of the title) who unexpectedly finds true love with the handsome young Ruggero. But their idyllic and happy life comes to an premature end as she is haunted by the fear that her checkered past will ruin his future. Angela Gheorghiu and Roberto Alagna portray Puccini’s star-crossed lovers. Ezio Frigerio’s elegant and sophisticated art deco sets add a dazzling touch to Nicholas Joël’s production, which premiered in 2008.

La Rondine (22)
Giacomo Puccini | Giuseppe Adami

Magda
Angela Gheorghiu

Ruggero
Roberto Alagna

Lisette
Lisette Oropesa

Prunier
Marius Brenciu

Rambaldo
Samuel Ramey

Yvette
Monica Yunus

Bianca
Alyson Cambridge

Suzy
Elizabeth DeShong

Perichaud
David Won

Crebillon
David Crawford

Gobin
Tony Stevenson

Georgette
Anne Nonnemacher

Gabrielle
Belinda Oswald

Lolette
Alexandra Newland

Adolf
Marty Singleton

Singer
Ashley Emerson

Rabonnier
Jason Hendrix

Butler
Roger Andrews

Conductor
Marco Armiliato

TV Director
Brian Large

slofstra

Post by slofstra » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 am

Glad you enjoyed it. I know you're an opera buff, Lenny.
And if I only wrote a 3 word commentary, I'd say I loved it, and leave out all the other stuff.

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:37 am

slofstra wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 am
Glad you enjoyed it. I know you're an opera buff, Lenny.
And if I only wrote a 3 word commentary, I'd say I loved it, and leave out all the other stuff.
Henry thanks-maybe not my all time Puccini favorite but it was quite enjoyable-Donizetti's, Verdi's, Wagner's, mozart's-I like some better than others but these composer's rarely miss for me! Regards, Len :)