Toscanini live in London,1952

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Toscanini live in London,1952

Post by Rach3 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:33 pm

I heard only the 3rd, my fav Brahms symphony. A rather relaxed reading here (? ) I think , compared to my recording by William Steinberg conducting the Pittsburgh Symphony, but I'll defer to the symphonists here:

Enregistré le 1/10/1952 au Royal Festival Hall, Londres

Johannes Brahms - Symphonie n°3 en fa majeur, op.90
- Symphonie n°4, en mi mineur, op.98

Philharmonia Orchestra
Arturo Toscanini

https://auvio.rtbf.be/media/concert-d-a ... es-3184626

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Toscanini live in London,1952

Post by Lance » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:27 pm

Could these be the same performances that appeared on Testament 3167, 3 CDs, mono, recorded in London, 1952? Includes all four Brahms symphonies plus Haydn Variations and Tragic Overture. Strange as it seems given Toscanini's notariety as a conductor, few people seem to listen to his recordings these days. Given the plethora of all his recordings, just on RCA, EMI, New York Philharmonic Anniversary sets not to mention Guild, dell'Arte, AS Disc, APR, Naxos Historical ... it goes on an on.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

maestrob

Re: Toscanini live in London,1952

Post by maestrob » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:44 am

These are indeed old favorites. Toscanini did perform a Brahms cycle with the Philharmonia Orchestra in the summer of 1952. For some strange reason they were marketed for decades on pirate labels and eagerly sought after by yours truly. I picked up a set of CDs in the early 1990s, and have loved them ever since. There is so much more beauty and warmth in these performances than in the rather stiff RCA releases with the NBC Orchestra that these are my preferred listening, in spite of the firecrackers some idiots set off during the last movement of the Fourth Symphony.

I must acquire the Testament remastering of the EMI issue. Thanks for the reminder!