Szell and Cleveland LIVE in 1966, Dvorak Symphony No.8

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Szell and Cleveland LIVE in 1966, Dvorak Symphony No.8

Post by maestrob » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:26 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlaAxF00a4k

George Szell was a master with Dvorak's late symphonies. Here he is live in 1966 with his Cleveland Orchestra in a performance that was recorded around the time of his well-known commercial recording released on Epic's yellow label.

Enjoy!

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Szell and Cleveland LIVE in 1966, Dvorak Symphony No.8

Post by Lance » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:46 am

Szell - a master of this music. I'm just very much into conductors such as Szell, Mitropoulos, Reiner, Mravinsky, Fricsay, Koussevitzky, Rodzinsky, Stokowski, Walter, Monteux, Furtwangler, Toscanini, Lehmann, Beecham. Indeed, there are so many great conductors of the past - and the present. But the group listed ... their music-making leaves such an indelible impression on yours truly. How lucky we are to have at our fingertips the ability to hear so many at any given time!
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

mikealdren

Post by mikealdren » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 am

Yes, I've just picked up a sampler called 'The Reiner Sound' simply because they're recordings I didn't have. It's all from the 1950s in remarkably good sound and, of course, marvellous performances.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 am

mikealdren wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 am
Yes, I've just picked up a sampler called 'The Reiner Sound' simply because they're recordings I didn't have. It's all from the 1950s in remarkably good sound and, of course, marvellous performances.
RCA really did get the jump on their competition by recording in stereo beginning in 1954. Some glorious music-making from that era, and issued then on stereo 2-track reel-to-reel tapes. Stereo LPs weren't made available until about 5-6 years later on the major labels, although Audio Fidelity released the first test pressings in the fall of 1957.

Belle

Post by Belle » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:03 pm

maestrob wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:26 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlaAxF00a4k

George Szell was a master with Dvorak's late symphonies. Here he is live in 1966 with his Cleveland Orchestra in a performance that was recorded around the time of his well-known commercial recording released on Epic's yellow label.

Enjoy!
Don't great performances just jump right out at us!! This Szell is wonderful. I was in high school when this recording was made and I'm trying to think what I would have been doing, half a world away from Szell and Cleveland, with silly girls who weren't interested in classical music.