Miriam Hyde's Piano Concertos (inspired by another thread)

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Miriam Hyde's Piano Concertos (inspired by another thread)

Post by Lance » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:15 pm

Our "what are you listening to" thread contains some wonderful information and suggestions. I first learned of the Australian pianist/composer's [Mirian Hyde, 1913-2005] two piano concertos (performed by her) from an ABC-Australia Eloquence CD [463 735] and listened to the YouTube reference on the original thread. I was surprised. I only knew of Hyde because of the inclusion of a work by another Australian pianist whose mother was a regular on CMG, Kathryn Selby, who has recorded for the ABC label. I didn't have that, and I'm very good about getting these Eloquence reissues. But a friend down the street had a copy. So now I have a copy and listening to the First Concerto complete now. How did I miss the boat on this one? I see that Presto has some downloads, and there are a couple of CDs out there with her playing, so I discovered after I went wild trying to find one. A collector friend nearby goes nuts over piano concertos. Lucky me! I cannot think of another soul who would have a copy of these unknown works especially in my area. You just never know.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Re: Miriam Hyde's Piano Concertos (inspired by another thread)

Post by Rach3 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:41 pm

Fww, to my ears, her 2nd PC is even more attractive then her 1st, and her 1944 Piano Sonata ( also at YT with Geoffrey Tozer , with a different pianist at Presto ) is the most attractive of the three.