Who remembers the song "The Thing" ???

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Lance
Site Administrator

Who remembers the song "The Thing" ???

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Image Image

Well, this was one of the 45-rpm records that spun at our house when me, my brother and sister were all very young. While there was a mixture of Beethoven, Mozart, and others, there were also a few popular songs of the day. I didn't really remember much about it, though I have frequently thought of the song, "The Thing." After doing some research, I discovered it was sung by Phil Harris [1904-1995], whose was married to actress Alice Faye [1915-1998]. This was the second marriage for both. Harris and Faye often worked together on the stage and remained married until Harris died in 1995 at the age of 91. Some may well remember the Phil Harris-Alice Faye Show, or appearances on the Jack Benny Show.

Recordings come and go, and some things from your earliest listening experiences stick with one ... but how nice that there is a collection of 24 songs sung by Phil Harris on the Jasmine record label [JASCD 350] (for about $15 + post on Amazon). The disc apparently was issued in 1999. This disc is entitled Phil Harris: His Original and Greatest Hits, and thankfully, among the 24 tracks is "The Thing." No doubt the original discs were used for digitization, but the quality (all mono, of course), is excellent and aren't aware of any vinyl sound.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

HoustonDavid

Re: Who remembers the song "The Thing" ???

Post by HoustonDavid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:49 pm

I do indeed remember "The Things": 'Your Can't Get Rid of the....(drum thumping
loudly)....No Matter What You Do!'

Harris is best remembered in my house for the voice of "Baloo the Bear" who befriends
Mowgli in the animated classic "The Jungle Book" based on Rudyard Kipling's book of
the same name. I was a little old, but not too wizened to watch it with my kids, who
got a great kick out of Phil's unmistakable basso voice. They were too young to remember
him from the Jack Benny radio show, but I never missed it on Sunday evenings. As I
remember, Phil was Jack's orchestra leader and hence a regular on the show.

Anyone who ever hears that voice - on film or recordings - will mistake its source. And
what a remarkable face he had, with that schnoz and wonderful grin. I have only vague
memories of the Phil Harris/Alice Faye Show, but I know I listened. I remember they
were like "Beauty (Alice Faye) and the Beast (Phil Harris)" in their publicity pics.
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

absinthe

Post by absinthe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Hah! :D :o :lol: I mentioned this to mum because she recently found some old records in her mum's wardrobe - strange and fun stuff indeed - so the subject was in the air - and she remembers "The Thing" from an UK radio show called the Billy Cotton Band show or something! She remembers it sung to the "Lincolnshire Poacher" tune! She hadn't heard of Phil Harris, though.

There were other songs like "Close the Doors" (they're coming in the windows) Close the doors they're coming up the stairs, etc! And Fuzzy Wuzzy....

Fun. All we have to do is get the 78rpm player from the top of the garage....!

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:06 am

I thought surely more people would "ring in" on this!

Did you see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2H6qC23RPY
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:31 am

Lance, I agree, surely we're not all that young around here. If I can remember the
Jack Benny show, and watch "The Jungle Book" with my kids, we must have others
here who also remember Phil Harris.
"May You be born in interesting (maybe confusing?) times" - Chinese Proverb (or Curse)

HoustonDavid

Post by HoustonDavid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 am

BTW, Lance, welcome to the "Corner Pub", :D :D a place you rarely visit. You must have put
on your chain mail armor and be holding your breath with paranoid delusions about the
denizens. :wink:

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Well, Lance, ol' Phil was a boozing hasbeen by the time I was deposited on this planet, but with the 1967 release of Disney's cartoon feature "The Jungle Book", I instantly became a fan. I almost consider Baloo to be Harris' middle name (actually, HIS birthname was Wonga Philip Harris).

He also did voices for succeeding Disney features, and made the rare TV guest appearance: I recall a '74 episode of Lucille Ball's last major sitcom, with the big number being his OTHER signature song, "That's What I Like About The South." It was at this time, too, that I was officially introduced to "The Thing."

I had to part with my two Harris compilation LPs a while back, but since hopping back onto the internet I've been able to do a tailor-made "best of" anthology CD (& file-rip) that puts any commercial comp to shame, IMHO. I got off of YouTube stereo recordings of his big Disney numbers ("The Bare Necessities," "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat" [with Scatman Crothers], and "Thomas O'Malley Cat"); and also his great cover version of the 60s trucker hit "Six Days On The Road," from a rare TV special.

He was a helluva versatile vocalist, too: check out his "straight" treatments of serious stuff like "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?" and "Deck Of Cards." Quite effective.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Madame

Post by Madame » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:11 pm

I remember "The Thing" very well ... if I recall, Bob and Justine didn't give it much of a rating on American Bandstand, difficult to dance to ;)

dulcinea

Post by dulcinea » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 pm

The perfect punchline: the Devil tells the owner of the BOOM BOOM BOOM to get the hell out of Hell with his goddamn BOOM BOOM BOOM.
Let every thing that has breath praise the Lord! Alleluya!

living_stradivarius

Post by living_stradivarius » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 pm

HoustonDavid wrote:BTW, Lance, welcome to the "Corner Pub", :D :D a place you rarely visit. You must have put
on your chain mail armor and be holding your breath with paranoid delusions about the
denizens. :wink:
I'll trade my straitjacket for that chainmail :D