Rush Limbaugh Dead from Lung Cancer at 70

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Rush Limbaugh Dead from Lung Cancer at 70

Post by maestrob » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:08 pm

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/5392 ... dead-at-70

Many thanks to Ronald Reagan, without whom, Limbaugh could not have poisoned the thinking of so many Americans:
The 1987 repeal of the Federal Communications Commission's Fairness Doctrine gave Limbaugh his head to broadcast his controversial opinions without having to present opposing views.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 998621002/

Wallingford

Re: Rush Limbaugh Dead from Lung Cancer at 70

Post by Wallingford » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 am

G.R., R.L.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:41 am

I recall his television show that came on late-night. He would wear colorful ties called 'power ties', and you could purchase them.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:56 am

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:54 am

Good grief!

Makes absolutely no difference in my life, of course, but frankly, this seems a bit like taking photos of a loved one in a coffin.

Creepy! :mrgreen:

barney

Post by barney » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 am

Great summary:

Jonathan Chait, writing at New York magazine, captured the repugnant essence of Limbaugh's appeal:

Limbaugh oozed bile. He did not merely characterize his targets as misguided, or stupid, or even selfish. He rendered them for his audience as dehumanized targets of rage. He had special rage for feminist women, who were castrating harpies, and Black people, who were lazy, intellectually unqualified, and inherently criminal. The message he pounded home day after day was that minorities and women were seizing status and resources from white people and men, and that politics was a zero-sum struggle — and the victory would go to whichever side fought more viciously.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:03 pm

barney wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:32 am
Great summary:

Jonathan Chait, writing at New York magazine, captured the repugnant essence of Limbaugh's appeal:

Limbaugh oozed bile. He did not merely characterize his targets as misguided, or stupid, or even selfish. He rendered them for his audience as dehumanized targets of rage. He had special rage for feminist women, who were castrating harpies, and Black people, who were lazy, intellectually unqualified, and inherently criminal. The message he pounded home day after day was that minorities and women were seizing status and resources from white people and men, and that politics was a zero-sum struggle — and the victory would go to whichever side fought more viciously.
Totally accurate.

Another figure I was glad to see gone from Fox News was Bill O'Reilly, another vicious attack dog from the rabid right.

I imagine you folks down under have a similar figure or two in your media. I've never been able to relate to such vicious anger. Just don't get it at all, and hope I never will.

barney

Post by barney » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:40 pm

We certainly have our deranged ranters, but the temperature is definitely cooler. There are people I dislike on both sides, actually, but it's the right that rants. The left tends more to a smug self-satisfaction and entitlement.
It's a different culture. Australians don't like anything that seems extreme, especially in politics but also in sport. What Americans might regard as brash confidence, and entirely acceptable, Australians tend to see as big-noting and bad form. Typical interview with football star: "You've just played the most brilliant game in football history. How do you feel?" Star: "Err, um, I'm pleased for the boys, and, um, ah, it was good to get the win, and, err, the boys worked hard." They are actually trained by football club media staff to be dull and keep their heads below the parapet.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:37 am

barney wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:40 pm
We certainly have our deranged ranters, but the temperature is definitely cooler. There are people I dislike on both sides, actually, but it's the right that rants. The left tends more to a smug self-satisfaction and entitlement.
It's a different culture. Australians don't like anything that seems extreme, especially in politics but also in sport. What Americans might regard as brash confidence, and entirely acceptable, Australians tend to see as big-noting and bad form. Typical interview with football star: "You've just played the most brilliant game in football history. How do you feel?" Star: "Err, um, I'm pleased for the boys, and, um, ah, it was good to get the win, and, err, the boys worked hard." They are actually trained by football club media staff to be dull and keep their heads below the parapet.
Barney, I warm to your country and culture more and more as I get to know you.

I mean, God knows, if things go sidewise here, we may have to relocate. I really don't anticipate such a thing, but with things the way they are, you never know. As much of a patriot as I am, and I do love the (Say the word out loud!) liberal ideals that America represents to the world, I'm quite sure I could never support a radical right government, and would feel incredibly threatened by it.

That chill in my spine and I have indeed signed the lease I've been posting about. :evil:

barney

Post by barney » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Yes, it seems things could go in all sorts of directions in the US. I'm still hopeful - the country has gone through similar experiences and emerged stronger. It seems to me that if the Republicans could ditch Trump and recover some principles and become a proper Opposition to hold the Democrats to account, then the Trump-cult fantasists would slowly melt away. But alt-right and mainstream Republicans are getting disturbingly close.

Watching the History Channel last night, I was intrigued to hear President McKinlay described as the "leader of the free world". I suspect that's anachronistic, a modern commentator looking back, because in 1901 Britain was still the biggest superpower, was it not? By 1918 that had changed, for ever.

It goes without saying that we would welcome you and Teresa to Melbourne, until recently voted the world's most liveable city.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:42 am

barney wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:34 pm
Yes, it seems things could go in all sorts of directions in the US. I'm still hopeful - the country has gone through similar experiences and emerged stronger. It seems to me that if the Republicans could ditch Trump and recover some principles and become a proper Opposition to hold the Democrats to account, then the Trump-cult fantasists would slowly melt away. But alt-right and mainstream Republicans are getting disturbingly close.

Watching the History Channel last night, I was intrigued to hear President McKinlay described as the "leader of the free world". I suspect that's anachronistic, a modern commentator looking back, because in 1901 Britain was still the biggest superpower, was it not? By 1918 that had changed, for ever.

It goes without saying that we would welcome you and Teresa to Melbourne, until recently voted the world's most liveable city.
Goodness Barney, I didn't expect that. Such kind words surely ease my fears. Thank you.

That said, for the world's sake, I hope that we never have to impose on your hospitality under such circumstances.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:29 am

I didn't realise a visit from you would increase the whole world's suffering! :lol:

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 am

barney wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:29 am
I didn't realise a visit from you would increase the whole world's suffering! :lol:
:D

Clever you!