“I Don't Know What to Do With Good White People”

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

“I Don't Know What to Do With Good White People”

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 01, 2021 5:10 am

I Don't Know What to Do With Good White People
https://jezebel.com/i-dont-know-what-to ... 1671201391
2014 essay by Brit Bennett. The Mothers (2016) and The Vanishing Half (2020).

maestrob

Re: “I Don't Know What to Do With Good White People”

Post by maestrob » Sat May 01, 2021 10:05 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:10 am
Brilliant essay, Joe.

When my wife flew to Florida alone about 15 years ago (I couldn't travel with her because of my sleep disorder) to attend the ceremony for our nephew-in-law who was being promoted to Captain in the Navy, she stayed at our niece's house. When the ceremony was done, she was suddenly made aware that she was the only non-white person there (besides her niece) when the picture-taking was over and she had not been invited to stand with everyone else for official photographs of the occasion.

Stuff like that happens to non-white people all the time, still.

Even now, I get annoyed when I remember that "unintentional" slight.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 01, 2021 11:00 am

maestrob wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:05 am
. . . the picture-taking was over and she had not been invited to stand with everyone else for official photographs of the occasion.
Brit Bennett wrote:Before the flight took off, she turned to me and said, "I'm sorry if I cut you earlier. I didn't see you standing there."
Ralph Ellison:
“I am an invisible man. No, I am not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allan Poe; nor am I one of your Hollywood-movie ectoplasms. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids -- and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you see sometimes in circus sideshows, it is as though I have been surrounded by mirrors of hard, distorting glass. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination -- indeed, everything and anything except me.”

barney

Post by barney » Sat May 01, 2021 1:16 pm

maestrob wrote:
jserraglio wrote:
Brilliant essay, Joe.

When my wife flew to Florida alone about 15 years ago (I couldn't travel with her because of my sleep disorder) to attend the ceremony for our nephew-in-law who was being promoted to Captain in the Navy, she stayed at our niece's house. When the ceremony was done, she was suddenly made aware that she was the only non-white person there (besides her niece) when the picture-taking was over and she had not been invited to stand with everyone else for official photographs of the occasion.

Yes, that's really insulting. Was the niece in the picture?
A few years ago our daughter had an Ethiopian boyfriend. The family went to a Vietnamese restaurant, and his dinner mysteriously didn't appear. Everyone else's did. It wasn't obvious at first because there were so many share plates. I was outraged, but he asked me not to make a fuss. He said it happened all the time.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Sat May 01, 2021 1:48 pm

barney wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:16 pm
maestrob wrote:
jserraglio wrote:
Brilliant essay, Joe.

Yes, that's really insulting. Was the niece in the picture?
A few years ago our daughter had an Ethiopian boyfriend. The family went to a Vietnamese restaurant, and his dinner mysteriously didn't appear. Everyone else's did. It wasn't obvious at first because there were so many share plates. I was outraged, but he asked me not to make a fuss. He said it happened all the time.
Yes, Barney, her niece was indeed in the picture(s). That's what made me so angry at her. She should have stood up for Teresa, and instead totally "forgot" about her repeatedly.

That niece had other problems, however, including surplus alcohol consumption, which led to a divorce some years ago and her leaving the Navy a bit prematurely. We haven't spoken in years. She's now a single mother, with no prospects for the future. Very sad, of course.

My wife and I make it a firm policy not to deal with people who have any problem with her heritage, so this kind of thing rarely happens in our lives.