Anger at a travel ban in Australia, and other news from around the world.

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Anger at a travel ban in Australia, and other news from around the world.

Post by maestrob » Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 am

An empty Melbourne Airport in Australia last month. Australian citizens stranded in India are not allowed to come home.Credit...Asanka Ratnayake/Getty Images

The Australian authorities have faced a growing backlash from human rights groups and opposition politicians after they barred Australian citizens stranded in India from coming home, prompted by India’s record-breaking Covid-19 outbreak.

It is a travel ban with no equivalent in other democratic countries. Introduced on Monday and in place until May 15, it wields a possible punishment of up to five years in prison and a fine equivalent to about $50,000 for anyone trying to return from India. It is believed to be the first time that Australia has made it a criminal offense for its citizens and permanent residents to enter.

Michael Slater, an Australian cricket commentator who was in India covering the sport, said in a tweet on Monday that the ban was a “disgrace” and a form of government neglect. “Blood on your hands PM,” Mr. Slater wrote, referring to Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

After the policy was announced, the Australian Human Rights Commission said it raised “serious human rights concerns,” and Tim Soutphommasane, Australia’s former race discrimination commissioner, wrote in The Guardian that the measure “undermines the very status of citizenship.”

On Tuesday, Mr. Morrison said that it was “highly unlikely” that anyone would be fined or go to jail for breaching the ban.

In an interview with the Australian broadcaster 9News, he said that the likelihood of imprisonment under the rule was “pretty much zero” and defended it as a necessary safety measure.

“I’m not going to fail Australia,” Mr. Morrison said. “I’m going to protect our borders at this time.”

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/04 ... irus-cases

Holden Fourth

Re: Anger at a travel ban in Australia, and other news from around the world.

Post by Holden Fourth » Tue May 04, 2021 4:35 pm

This is just a few people venting on their usual political bandwagons as the general consensus of opinion here is that this is the only move that the government can make.

The reasoning is simple. Our MIQ system is very leaky (if not broken) at the moment. ALL the recent community transmission cases, which caused lockdowns in Qld and WA, originated from MIQ hotel quarantine and a big influx of people from India would surely end up with this being exacerbated. Australians have worked hard and sacrificed a lot to get to the position we are currently in and to go back to those awful lockdown days of last year is unthinkable.

There is one possible solution. Christmas Island contains our major illegal immigrant detention centre and is basically unused at the moment for obvious reasons. I'm not sure what it would take to set it up as a quarantine facility but surely it would have to be looked at. It would also be a far more humane way of running MIQ as people wouldn't be confined to one room in a hotel. The one stalling point might be the fact that Christmas Island is more than just a detention centre but a centre of population in it's own right with a local population about 1400.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:54 pm

maestrob wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 am

On Tuesday, Mr. Morrison said that it was “highly unlikely” that anyone would be fined or go to jail for breaching the ban.

In an interview with the Australian broadcaster 9News, he said that the likelihood of imprisonment under the rule was “pretty much zero” and defended it as a necessary safety measure.

“I’m not going to fail Australia,” Mr. Morrison said. “I’m going to protect our borders at this time.”

"Protect" = "Highly unlikely" + "pretty much zero " ?

barney

Post by barney » Tue May 04, 2021 10:46 pm

I agree with the temporary closure of the border to people coming from India. This is not racist,as some have alleged - it is because of the appalling situation there, wildlly out of control.

I utterly reject fines and jail sentences for citizens trying to return. there's a thuggishness at the core of this government which can't keep from peeping out now and then, and this is such an occasion.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am

barney wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:46 pm
I agree with the temporary closure of the border to people coming from India. This is not racist,as some have alleged - it is because of the appalling situation there, wildlly out of control.

I utterly reject fines and jail sentences for citizens trying to return. there's a thuggishness at the core of this government which can't keep from peeping out now and then, and this is such an occasion.
Totally agree.

Why the devil can't returnees simply quarantine for two weeks? I don't get the point of such extreme measures.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 05, 2021 10:45 am

maestrob wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:49 am
Why the devil can't returnees simply quarantine for two weeks? I don't get the point of such extreme measures.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Wed May 05, 2021 11:06 am

Joe, you did it again! :wink: