‘Bring it on!’: In ‘Today’ show interview, Liz Cheney vows to lead the fight to defang rabid Trump Dog

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

‘Bring it on!’: In ‘Today’ show interview, Liz Cheney vows to lead the fight to defang rabid Trump Dog

Post by jserraglio » Wed May 12, 2021 2:00 pm

NBC NEWS Cheney vows to lead fight to break Trump's grip on GOP

Rep. Liz Cheney sat down for an exclusive interview with NBC’s “TODAY” co-host Savannah Guthrie after her Republican colleagues demoted her.

WASHINGTON — Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., said Wednesday she plans to continue her fight against former President Donald Trump’s grip on the Republican Party after her GOP colleagues ousted her from House leadership.

“I intend to be the leader, one of the leaders, in a fight to help to restore our party, in a fight to bring our party back to substance and principle and in a fight to make clear that we won't participate in the really dangerous effort that's underway,” Cheney said in an exclusive interview with NBC's “TODAY” show co-host Savannah Guthrie, when asked if she is the leader of the opposition in exile.

Cheney sat down for the interview Wednesday morning after she was removed as chair of the House Republican Conference for vocally rebuking Trump for his stolen election lies, a move that strengthens the former president's hold over the direction of the GOP.

Cheney, who voted to impeach Trump for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot, responded to the former president's most recent claim last week that the 2020 election was "fraudulent," calling his words "THE BIG LIE." And she remained defiant Tuesday evening ahead of the closed-door meeting that decided her fate, describing his claims as a threat to democracy.

Regarding the suggestion that her ouster has amounted to a battle for the soul of the Republican Party, the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney said Wednesday that it was an "opening salvo in that battle."

“And it's a battle we have to win because it's not just about the Republican Party, it's about the country," she said.

Guthrie noted that Trump’s political team is actively searching for a Republican candidate to challenge Cheney in a primary next year.

Asked to respond to that threat, Cheney said, “You know — bring it on.”

House Republicans removed Cheney from the No. 3 position in their conference during a quick voice vote behind closed doors on Capitol Hill Wednesday. Republicans had planned to vote using a secret ballot, but decided instead to conduct a voice vote, making it impossible to know how many in her caucus supported her removal.

Rep. Elise Stefanik, R-N.Y., is the favorite to replace Cheney, and House Republicans will take a vote to elect her on Friday.

barney

Re: ‘Bring it on!’: In ‘Today’ show interview, Liz Cheney vows to lead the fight to defang rabid Trump Dog

Post by barney » Wed May 12, 2021 6:29 pm

Looking at Cheney's voting record, I probably wouldn't be a supporter in the normal run of things. But she represents the lobotomy party's last remaining non-fantasy portion of integrity. I admire her courage, and wish her the best.

maestrob

Re: ‘Bring it on!’: In ‘Today’ show interview, Liz Cheney vows to lead the fight to defang rabid Trump Dog

Post by maestrob » Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 am

barney wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:29 pm
Looking at Cheney's voting record, I probably wouldn't be a supporter in the normal run of things. But she represents the lobotomy party's last remaining non-fantasy portion of integrity. I admire her courage, and wish her the best.
I'm quite sure Mitt Romney is with her along with Adam Kinzinger:
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), like Cheney one of the 10 GOP members of the House to vote this year to impeach Trump, also has started a group, called Country First, aimed at recruiting and supporting candidates who oppose Trump in the Republican Party.
Hundreds of people joined a virtual “Rally for Liz” on Tuesday night organized by another Trump-resisting grass-roots group called Principles First, where Kinzinger joined former representatives David Jolly (R-Fla.), Joe Walsh (R-Ill.) and Denver Riggleman (R-Va.) to voice support for Cheney.
Read the full Washington Post article here (not behind a paywall),

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html