The Battle of the Sexes in the Dating game

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

The Battle of the Sexes in the Dating game

Post by Belle » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:33 pm

This is a rather confined cohort being discussed here, with no mention of the deterrence of men in general by divorce (kangaroo) courts. Also, no mention of the 'rape' epidemics on university campuses.

One interesting paragraph drew my particular attention:

With a surplus of women, sexual freedoms are more advantageous to men than to women. Decreased willingness to commit oneself to an exclusive relationship with one woman is consistent with that fact… It follows further that the persistence of such circumstances would leave many women hurt and angry. Other women, not themselves without a man, would nevertheless often be aware of the unfortunate experiences of their women friends in relations with men. These circumstances should impel women to seek more power, and incidentally, turn them towards meeting their own needs. Most forms of feminism are directed to just such ends.

(Oh, wait; most of them ARE hurt and angry!!!)

https://quillette.com/2020/01/16/all-the-single-ladies/

jserraglio

Re: The Battle of the Sexes in the Dating game

Post by jserraglio » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:32 am

PEANUTS ENVYImage

barney

Re: The Battle of the Sexes in the Dating game

Post by barney » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 am

Belle wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:33 pm
This is a rather confined cohort being discussed here, with no mention of the deterrence of men in general by divorce (kangaroo) courts. Also, no mention of the 'rape' epidemics on university campuses.

One interesting paragraph drew my particular attention:

With a surplus of women, sexual freedoms are more advantageous to men than to women. Decreased willingness to commit oneself to an exclusive relationship with one woman is consistent with that fact… It follows further that the persistence of such circumstances would leave many women hurt and angry. Other women, not themselves without a man, would nevertheless often be aware of the unfortunate experiences of their women friends in relations with men. These circumstances should impel women to seek more power, and incidentally, turn them towards meeting their own needs. Most forms of feminism are directed to just such ends.

(Oh, wait; most of them ARE hurt and angry!!!)

https://quillette.com/2020/01/16/all-the-single-ladies/
I haven't read the article, but sexual freedom has always been more advantageous to men, and always will be until it is the men who get pregnant. I'm a man, but I have no objection to women seeking a more equal balance of power. If that's the basic objective of feminism, good for them. Sometimes, however, it seems to descend into hatred of men because they are men, and that is a big turn-off for their cause. Watching feminists and trans-activists tear into each other at the moment is both comic and tragic.