The lamentable state of modern school education, seen through the eyes..

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

The lamentable state of modern school education, seen through the eyes..

Post by Belle » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:16 pm

This uplifting valedictory has been written by a man to commemorate the passing of his father, a career teacher. His essay throws into sharp relief the appalling classroom ideologies and bureaucratic mindset which pass for pedagogy these days. Everything described here was already in the system when I was teaching and, like this man's father, I stood up to all of it. Openly and unashamedly. Group work? Pfft!!!

It was heartening to read that this teacher had used the same modus operandi as I: hats off, no devices, no gum, full uniforms, work completed, stand in line outside classroom before entering. Yes, I walked up and down the classroom aisles too and often sat next to reluctant boys who'd complete their work rather than have to sit next to their hard-nosed teacher. And I told the kids all about the 'boffins' in the 'department' who wanted me to read aloud the 'outcomes' to be taught; it was unsufferable, but I had them take out the 'outcomes' and then I'd say "I'm teaching you all this and more; do you understand?" and they'd say "yes" and this was followed by "now put them away; we never want to see them again" (laughter). The Head of English used to roll her eyes in annoyance and frustration!! I just wasn't going to be 'a good little german'.

Imagine me indoctrinating kids today with woke and PC verbiage and other unsufferable non-thinking, grievance-driven, identitarian tripe!! I actively discussed propaganda with them and why it is used and how it is used, also looking at the media and comparing mastheads and their ideologies. The important thing with the kids, when giving them something difficult (which made them jump over the bar much higher) was to appeal to their egos; "are you up for this, or will I teach you something easier?".

https://quillette.com/2021/10/17/my-father-teacher/