Glad I'm not a Kiwi

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Holden Fourth

Glad I'm not a Kiwi

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:44 pm

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nz-cant- ... 8YctoOiEkM

This paragraph really sums things up in the political sphere.
The current NZ Government appears to be on a quest to be a world leader in Carbon Neutrality by 2050. New Zealand emits 0.17% of the worlds annual Carbon. Worthy of saying it again, New Zealand emits ZERO POINT ONE SEVEN PERCENT to the global carbon emissions. China 29.4%, USA 14.3%, EEA 9.8%, India 6.8%, Russia 4.9% & Japan 3.5% yet the Kiwi’s are going to save the world by taxing themselves into being uncompetitive. The tax won’t stop livestock from emitting methane, it is not about that, it is about a political ego trip to be the ‘greenest’ country.
The sad thing is that much of the published science behind the decision is seriously flawed. Any grade 8 science student can show you how the Carbon/Methane cycle works.

Ah well, Australia's importation of Kiwis might rise even more quickly.

jserraglio

Re: Glad I'm not a Kiwi

Post by jserraglio » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:57 pm

Right, it’s HUMAN methane emissions that should be addressed. Methane leaks from fracked gas wells. Plus the methane escaping in the Arctic as the permafrost melts due to a warming climate.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:30 pm

Perhaps, but the Kiwis will still have great pinot noir, sauvignon blanc, Steinlager,lamb, and the All Blacks.

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:22 pm

...for those who will still be able to afford them.

I strongly suspect that the majority of Kiwis (probably the most politically and civilian compliant nation on Earth) will just accept it as the government doing their thing for the country as well s the planet. Foir example there was this response to the article from a subscriber which would probably sum up many New Zealanders' attitudes.
Incredulous behaviour from a political party who is meant to represent ‘the people’.” Well, you could argue they are acting on behalf of all people (including future generations) rather than just the current citizens of NZ.
The guy thinks he is in the mainstream probably because he sees himself as being 'right' as opposed to anyone else whose opinion differs. The point is that the NZ government is not acting on behalf of all the people (consider the farmers for a start) but he can't see that.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:22 pm

I think NZ’s point is not its percentage of emissions, which everyone knows is relatively small, but to put the significant polluters, China, Russia, the USA, Europe, India, and Australia on notice that every country, big or small, has to do more.

CO2 levels in the atmosphere are now over 400 parts per million, and rising. The average over the past 800 MY has been 240 parts/million. The last time levels were over 400 was 56 MYA. The fossil record at that time shows that mammals had greatly diminished in size to adapt to their hothouse environment. No livestock, no sheep, no grazing lands. If humans had existed back then, they could not have hunted large game nor could they have grown crops.