No wonder the Left hates Rupert Murdoch!!

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Belle

No wonder the Left hates Rupert Murdoch!!

Post by Belle » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:23 pm

His papers spell out truths which the Left hates hearing. Well, the Left hates just about everything, but on this occasion it's the own-goal of the Democrats going after Trump. I don't agree with all of this assessment, thinking the GOP really want Trump out of the way so Ron or somebody else can step up. And I still think that's the most likely option. In fact, I think I can detect the faint sound of champagne corks popping right now in Florida!! And elsewhere.

And if you're thinking you need more Woke, you won't get it with the GOP. Why? Because the great majority of the world IS NOT WOKE. And it's ultimately ironic in the English-speaking world; they all want woke and we still own the asset classes. No amount of guilt-ridden hate-fuelled rhetoric is going to divest us of our assets. If they look threatened our children will get them right away. Ergo, if not afterwards then certainly before. Many of us want the Woke confined to a small room where they can finger-point amongst themselves, cancel each other and eat each other. That would be a great outcome for the whole world - and the USA could finally develop some self-respect. Wouldn't that be good??!!!

Woke is only a thinly veiled camouflage for COVETOUSNESS; if they rearrange the world then those who have the opportunity to acquire assets should be disabled from so doing. And the article contains an interesting reference to the "non-clubbable" Left; that's a polite way of referring to the herd or 'sheeple'. But if they exist where in god's name are they??!! (Remembering that herds are for buffalo.)

I subscribe to the WSJ as a reader of "The Australian" but seldom, if ever, read it. US politics is as interesting to me as pouring concrete.

The Devil and Alvin Bragg
HOLMAN W. JENKINS JR

That Thursday’s indictment wouldn’t have been brought against any other member of the human race can be divined almost as readily by listening to a Democratic commentator as a Republican one.

There are issues of the statute of limitations, issues of selective prosecution, issues of overreach in tying the Stormy Daniels payment to an alleged campaign-finance offence the feds themselves declined to prosecute.

The stretch by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg in today’s unique political context demands attention. No, not the novelty of Mr Trump being the first ex-president to be indicted. The bigger twist: It can hardly be exaggerated how expertly Joe Biden and Democrats have navigated themselves down a funnel from which the only escape is Mr Trump being next year’s GOP nominee.

The sensible analyst Greg Valliere speculated on Bloomberg TV on Friday that the indictment would improve Mr Trump’s chance of winning the nomination while weakening his chance of winning the general election.

This is a hole-in-one for Mr Biden. Any other scenario and he would be perceived to be in a deep hole by his own party. He’s got the worst inflation in 40 years, a banking crisis and a possible recession in the offing, never mind the age issue. But even a ham sandwich might have a good chance of beating Mr Trump. Mr Biden is the Democrats’ ham sandwich.

Less likely to happen now is the thing that actually should. Mr Biden and his allies keep telling us that Mr Trump is a menace to the republic. If they believe this, they have an awesome opportunity. Don’t run. My guess is that Mr Biden bowing out would open the sluice gates to both parties washing out their Trump-era baggage on the way to 2024, giving us a whole different election than the one we’re dangerously likely to get now. Don’t underestimate how much Mr Trump’s own presence in the race is simply a strategy to flummox his legal pursuers.

Mr Trump’s character, remind yourself, was well-advertised long before 2016. He rose unexpectedly from strength to strength on the behaviour of his enemies, the media most importantly, which became more Trump-like than Mr Trump in its abandonment of the usual standards of honesty and evidence.

In the manner of the greatest demagogues, the compelling story for his supporters eventually stopped being anything Mr Trump said about policy or governance or the country’s interests; the compelling story became Mr Trump himself, the symbolic thumb in the establishment’s eye.

This is the gift Democrats gave America, with the Russia-collusion farce most of all. Mr Trump could not have done this himself. He could not have dreamed it would happen until it did.

Australia's best business newsletter. Get the edge with AM and PM briefings, plus breaking news alerts in your inbox.

The non-clubbable, honest left, which in recent months has increasingly detached itself from the Democratic Party over issues of censorship and disinformation, rightly pointed out early and often that Mr Trump’s best press agent was Adam Schiff.

The same Columbia Journalism Review that recently aired out the collusion hoax years ago accurately characterised MSNBC as one Mr Trump’s greatest assets.

In 2020, as this column repeatedly pointed out, an unappreciated asset for Mr Biden was the distance he kept from the Russia hoax, which made him votable to many crossover Republicans. Alas, original sin visits us all. To get to the presidency, in a perverse twist of fate, Mr Biden had to become embroiled in a whole new layer of the Russia hoax, via the Hunter Biden laptop and the fog of disinformation about its provenance from the US intelligence community. And the story isn’t finished.

Democrats and their media allies are whistling frantically past the graveyard. The remarkable Philip Bump in the Washington Post recently argued that new revelations of federally flagged “suspicious” payments from a China fixer to members of the Biden family aren’t necessarily proof of anything nefarious. He also strongly militated against any official or journalistic legwork to make sure they aren’t nefarious.

Here we go again — with the FBI, intelligence agencies, prosecutors and the courts getting ready to turn the 2024 presidential election into legal-political clusterphenomenon against which even the 2016 antics of FBI Chief James Comey will pale in comparison.

A God that truly loved America would find a way to intervene before the campaign gets too far along. We could instead get a race between two 40 or 50-something governors from sunny states far from Washington, D.C., who might have played baseball in college. If you are the praying type and on good terms with the Almighty, now is the time to start filling up his suggestion box.

The Wall Street Journal

jserraglio

Re: No wonder the Left hates Rupert Murdoch!!

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:33 am

Belle wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:23 pm
I subscribe to the WSJ as a reader of "The Australian" but seldom, if ever, read it.
Q.E.D. all over again.

Murdoch’s WSJ is my constant companion — one of the world’s greatest newspapers — superb investigative reporting — conservative in the honorable wake of Goldwater and Reagan — scourge of the Spiked and Quillette brand of pseudo-literacy.
——————————————
What the world needs now is Woke, sweet Woke. (Bacharach/David)
Last edited by jserraglio on Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:54 am

Belle wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:23 pm
And it's ultimately ironic in the English-speaking world; they all want woke and we still own the asset classes. No amount of guilt-ridden hate-fuelled rhetoric is going to divest us of our assets.
Belle, I wish I could persuade you that it is hideously vulgar to go on about money all the time. It's very lower middle class trying desperately to be noticed. I promise you that nobody on this forum is envious of your assets or wants to steal them from you. This paranoid obsession of yours is deeply revealing about you. Take as your model the great philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein, from a fabulously wealthy Austrian familywho gave it all away. He found it deeply liberating. So might you.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:52 am

There is a big upside to being more widely read. Absolutely priceless is the scope and depth of the Times of New York. I have been reading it for over 6 decades.

The Finnish Secret to Happiness? Knowing When You Have Enough https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/01/worl ... imism.html
——————————————
What the world needs now,
Is Woke, sweet Woke.
No, not just for some,
But for everyone.

—Bacharach/David