So...anyone dared to see Ken Burns' "Country Music"?

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Wallingford

So...anyone dared to see Ken Burns' "Country Music"?

Post by Wallingford » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 pm

Just wondering....I'd always suspected Burns to be a cheap mainstreamer--at least, going by the opinions of those who've seen his "Jazz"--but seeing/hearing the ads for this one, and reading the synopses on pbs.com, I just about threw my hands up in the air and said, "Ken, how could you sink this low?"
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

lennygoran

Re: So...anyone dared to see Ken Burns' "Country Music"?

Post by lennygoran » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:50 pm

Wallingford wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:38 pm
Just wondering....I'd always suspected Burns to be a cheap mainstreamer--at least, going by the opinions of those who've seen his "Jazz"--but seeing/hearing the ads for this one, and reading the synopses on pbs.com, I just about threw my hands up in the air and said, "Ken, how could you sink this low?"
I have all of the episodes on my DVR-I love his documentaries-haven't had a chance to see even a single one-just too much time listening to CNN and all the political news. Regards, Len

david johnson

Post by david johnson » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:37 am

It is a superb work. Nothing low about it, except Johnny Cash's bass voice :) I am not a great cm fan, but the further back in the genre you go the more folkish it is. I grew up around that style and understand it, therefore I find it enjoyable. The closer it gets to country-western, the less I like it. I'm a classically trained trumpeter, teacher, and sometime singer. Of all the orchestral/chamber/etc. recordings I have heard and music I have performed, one of the best to hear is Willy Nelson doing "Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain". It's very simply presented and tastefully performed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgtWomWg90

lennygoran

Post by lennygoran » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:40 am

Thanks, I'll have to watch it when we return home. Regards, Len

Wallingford

Post by Wallingford » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 pm

david johnson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:37 am
Of all the orchestral/chamber/etc. recordings I have heard and music I have performed, one of the best to hear is Willy Nelson doing "Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain". It's very simply presented and tastefully performed.
40years ago my mother bought Willie's new Xmas album, 'Pretty Paper.' The singing was boring, with only a tiny back-up group playing throughout, with a spooky organ that sounded more like it belonged on a Halloween record. It was only last year that I found out on msn.com, in a feature on recommended Xmas albums, that the organist was Booker T. Jones--of the MGs--who also arranged and produced the whole thing. I only counted one nativity carol, the rest was popsy. In the msn article, this album as described as "country soul"....sheesh.

I can easily picture the scenario behind making this album, Willie's manager rushing him into the studio, saying, "Look Willie--this is gonna be your token Xmas LP...so let's make it as over and out as we can....."
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease, and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham