10 (1979) dir. Blake Edwards

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

jserraglio

10 (1979) dir. Blake Edwards

Post by jserraglio » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:42 am

I had never watched this one before, so when TCM streamed it, I took a quick look.

I think I prefer Edwards in his Pink Panther series, but 10 was pretty entertaining too. Julie Andrews was well worth watching.

In an earlier time, the Legion of Decency would have given a movie like 10 its dreaded "C" rating, which signified condemned -- see a condemned picture, and you've just bought yourself a one-way ticket to Hell.

I still haven't mustered enough courage to watch LOD condemned pictures like Baby Doll or Kiss Me, Stupid. But by the time 10 was released, the Legion of Decency had gone the way of all prudes -- it had become a general laughingstock. There is something to be said, though, for turning back the clock and making motion pictures into forbidden fruit once again.

I wish Ron DeSantis and his Stop W.O.K.E. crusade would now turn their attention to the movies.

neilnw

Re: 10 (1979) dir. Blake Edwards

Post by neilnw » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:29 pm

Critics said 10 was one of the funniest pictures of the year ('79). They couldn't have seen Monty Python's Life of Brian.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:30 pm

Re 10, I go along with Leonard Maltin, who gave it two stars.
Good music is that which falls upon the ear with ease and quits the memory with difficulty.
--Sir Thomas Beecham

Ricordanza

Post by Ricordanza » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:24 am

"10" is not great film art, but you'll never listen to Ravel's Bolero the same way again.

neilnw

Post by neilnw » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:30 pm

Ricordanza wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:24 am
"10" is not great film art, but you'll never listen to Ravel's Bolero the same way again.
I, myself, have had my mind work overtime trying to forget that "broken record" gag. As a lifetime ardent collector, I get queasy whenever that joke comes along--the oldest gag in the book.

This film only masquerades as an original comedy.
--Sir Thomas Beecham