Our First Fitzcarraldo movie OT but Has Caruso and Opera

Here's the place to talk about DVDs (or VHS) films and movies you have seen on television and recommend or don't recommend. Discuss actors and scores, too.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

lennygoran

Our First Fitzcarraldo movie OT but Has Caruso and Opera

Post by lennygoran » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:42 am

Our First Fitzcarraldo movie

We'd heard about this movie for along time and yesterday we finally watched via Amazon Prime. I'm afraid to say we found it too slow-the scenes of the construction of the ramp for the boat dragged on and on. Of course we loved the music! Regards, Len :lol:

The soundtrack album (released in 1982) contains music by Popol Vuh, taken from the albums Die Nacht der Seele (1979) and Sei still, wisse ich bin (1981),[11][12] as well as performances by Enrico Caruso and others. The film uses excerpts from Verdi's Ernani, Leoncavallo's Pagliacci ("Ridi, Pagliaccio"), Puccini's La bohème, Bellini's I puritani, and Strauss' Death and Transfiguration.

Febnyc

Re: Our First Fitzcarraldo movie OT but Has Caruso and Opera

Post by Febnyc » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:30 pm

Len- An insane film, directed by a madman and starring another lunatic.

However - I found it frighteningly addictive. Over the top and almost ridiculous. What is the attraction?

lennygoran

Re: Our First Fitzcarraldo movie OT but Has Caruso and Opera

Post by lennygoran » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:22 am

Febnyc wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:30 pm
Len- An insane film, directed by a madman and starring another lunatic.

However - I found it frighteningly addictive. Over the top and almost ridiculous. What is the attraction?
Frank thanks-it got off to a promising start but that long Amazon ride and getting the boat over the mountain went on and on and on--once I start watching something that's called a classic I try to stay with it to the end-I can't tell you how many times Sue was ready to just walk away from it but I got to hang on until the end! Regards, Len :lol: