Freddy and Fredericka

A cozy, genteel room to discuss books, authors, and things literary.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Febnyc

Freddy and Fredericka

Post by Febnyc » Thu May 18, 2023 11:31 am

My favorite contemporary novelist is Mark Helprin.

I've all of his books and, although as he ages he gets wordier and wordier, nevertheless I enjoy them very much.

The recent coronation of Charles III spurred me to return to one of Helprin's stories - published in 2005, and titled "Freddy and Fredericka."

It's a thinly-veiled satire on Charles, as Prince of Wales, and Princess Diana. Because Freddy gets himself into such embarrassing situations, he and Fredericka are banished to America to win back their standing at court by recolonizing the States.

I think it's the only book I've ever read which so often reduced me to tear-inducing, rib-shaking laughter. Helprin evokes brilliant pictures and action and invents preposterous and yet recognizable characters. For instance, Charles's lover is Phoebe Boylingehotte. The conversations, the repartee, are hysterical.

And underneath the hilarity is a serious reflection on the two (U.S. and U.K.) societies -as they were around the turn of the 21st Century or so.

jserraglio

Re: Freddy and Fredericka

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 20, 2023 6:43 am

Thanks, never read anything by Halprin. This one looks a good place to begin.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sat May 20, 2023 8:18 am

jserraglio wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 6:43 am
Thanks, never read anything by Halprin. This one looks a good place to begin.
Well, it's not Helprin's best - but it is a lot of fun.

If you want to get the real sense of this author's brilliance, I would suggest one of the following:
1. Winter's Tale
2. A Soldier of the Great War
3. One of his collections of short stories, eg The Pacific and Other Stories.

Thanks.
Last edited by Febnyc on Sat May 20, 2023 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Sat May 20, 2023 9:51 am

Thank you! I just enkindled Winter’s Tale

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Sat May 20, 2023 1:53 pm

Winter's Tale is a fantastic journey for which you'll need to suspend reality and revel in the author's imagination. Hope you enjoy it.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon May 29, 2023 3:04 am

So far, the WT book is engrossing, different from but like Edith Wharton in its paean to its central character— the City. I recognize a lot of its magical places, just from having lived and worked in and around Manhattan briefly. What Helprin knows in and of itself is astonishing and expresses itself torrentially.

I did look at the film version online. Some good acting (Colin Farrell, Eva Marie Saint and Jessica Brown Findlay), some very bad acting (Russell Crowe and Will Smith) and a laughable narrative line. Basically, the movie sucks.

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Mon May 29, 2023 7:57 am

jserraglio wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:04 am
So far, the WT book is engrossing, different from but like Edith Wharton in its paean to its central character— the City. I recognize a lot of its magical places, just from having lived and worked in and around Manhattan briefly. What Helprin knows in and of itself is astonishing and expresses itself torrentially.

I did look at the film version online. Some good acting (Colin Farrell, Eva Marie Saint and Jessica Brown Findlay), some very bad acting (Russell Crowe and Will Smith) and a laughable narrative line. Basically, the movie sucks.
I worked in Manhattan all my life, and lived there for 10 years. Helprin's descriptions are magical, I think. His writing is, as you write, "torrential" indeed.

The film, which I could not bear to watch after reading the reviews, was a total flop. And no surprise here - Hollywood never could replicate on screen the elegance of Helprin's prose.

Enjoy the book and, perhaps, move on to A Soldier of the Great War for a bountiful love story, and to Freddy and Fredericka for laughs and reflections on humanity.

jserraglio

Post by jserraglio » Mon May 29, 2023 8:58 am

I think I'm going to read the Paris book next cuz I want to see it someday! Right now, I am being dejavued by NYC all over again, this time vicariously. I loved living on Second Ave & 19th Street, 10th floor, in an Art Deco doorman bldg costing my wife and me next to nothing back then, walking everywhere, esp. to Grand Central at dawn to board a train to Dobbs Ferry, being softly propositioned on the way there by ladies hovering in the entry ways along Park Ave.

How did I ever not know of this writer, basically my contemporary and a bit more than a genius. Thank you!

Febnyc

Post by Febnyc » Tue May 30, 2023 9:07 am

My pleasure.

Yes, living in NYC was a special experience, I agree. I was at 89th and West End Avenue. Prior to that I had 20 years of commuting 2 1/2 hours each way to work. Once in the City, I hopped the subway and was in my office in 20 minutes or so. It was a revelation!

Enjoy the "Paris" novel. But don't miss out, also, on Helprin's short stories. They're great.

Now I am waiting for his latest to be released - ostensibly in October. The Oceans and the Stars - which, in addition to my affinity (and, apparently, yours) for the author's work - has the extra appeal to me because of my US Navy service, 'way back then.

https://www.amazon.com/Oceans-Stars-Sto ... _author_dp