Benjamin Grosvenor at Milton Court

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

Benjamin Grosvenor at Milton Court

Post by Philip M » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:02 pm

Benjamin Grosvenor played 2 concertos at Milton Court tonight with the Britten Sinfonia directed by Thomas Gould (Milton Court is the “smaller” hall in the Barbican area, opened in 2013: it has a nice acoustic).

Bach’s F minor Concerto, No.5 BWV 1056 opened the concert. Benjamin was on outstanding form. The glorious slow movement was the highlight, with superb tone from Benjamin. If I had a criticism, it was that at times the first movement was a bit too aggressive.

The second concerto was Mozart’s 9th K271. Has there ever been a more extraordinary emotional work written by a 21 year old? The slow movement is the kernel of the work and was so moving. And I had forgotten just how original the finale is of this amazing work.

As an encore we had Gnomenreigen - Liszt’s tribute to Mendelssohn?

Benjamin and his partner, the violinist Hyeyoon Park (she was at tonight’s concert) are off to USA on Thursday for a joint recital tour. I know most members of this form are in USA so watch out for them - their tour includes Boston and New York (Town Hall). Later in the season Benjamin is also playing at the Frick Collection.

Philip

Philip M

Re: Benjamin Grosvenor at Milton Court

Post by Philip M » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:15 pm

I forgot to say that the concert was recorded by the BBC and will be broadcast on Radio 3 at 7.30pm GMT on Thursday 5 December.

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:18 pm

I eagerly await his next recording. Any idea when?
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Philip M

Post by Philip M » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Chopin 1 and 2 out next month.

I’ll be hearing him in recital in Mold next month and Bradford in March.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:31 pm

In about 2 hours hence, his May,2019 Barbican recital; I plan to listen; also will be archived:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ds4h