Mark Bebbington at Stoke

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

Mark Bebbington at Stoke

Post by Philip M » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 am

The latest piano recital in the Harding Trust series at The Repertory Theatre in Stoke-on-Trent last night was given by Mark Bebbington.

The recital opened with 3 Scarlatti sonatas. I am so glad it seems to be back in fashion to start a recital this way (when Andrew Tyson came to the piano series I help organise in Codsall last March he opened with 4 Scarlatti sonatas). They are an excellent way of warming up the fingers and the audience - and they are all little gems! I’ve yet to hear one I don’t like.

Mark followed the Scarlatti with the Schubert masterpiece D960. It was nice to be reminded just how amazing this work is. Sadly he omitted the first movement repeat that, I think, is some of the blackest music Schubert ever wrote. For me Richter (in his live performances as opposed to the commercial one) is supreme in this sonata. Bebbington was not in that league but nevertheless gave a memorable account. Katsaris played this in Codsall in 2014 and I preferred Bebbington. I found Katsaris’ too light. I also heard Bebbington's teacher Aldo Ciccolini play it in Birmingham in 1996 but it was a tired account, as I recall.

After the interval we had Ireland’s Sarnia. Mark rates this as truly great music. I admire his opinion but it is not one I share. I find it rambles and lacks focus. He also played it in Codsall, when I think he played it better.

To finish 2 Liszt pieces - the Reminiscences of Lucia di Lammermoor and the Rigoletto Paraphrase, both of which allowed Bebbjngton to explore his wide range of colours.

The perfect encore followed - Clair de lune.

Philip

Rach3

Re: Mark Bebbington at Stoke

Post by Rach3 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks for this review ! I have the pianist’s Somm cd of the Dale and Hurlstone piano sonatas, the Hurlstone a work that deserves to be heard more, a fine reading by Bebbington. He has a number of recordings of rarely heard works including some premiere recordings.Was also interested in your work with Andrew Tyson,a fine young pianist mentioned at CMG recently , whose all Chopin cd I have and enjoy.Both pianists are at YT for those who wish to sample.

Rach3

Re: Mark Bebbington at Stoke

Post by Rach3 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:30 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:34 pm
Thanks for this review ! I have the pianist’s Somm cd of the Dale and Hurlstone piano sonatas, the Hurlstone a work that deserves to be heard more, a fine reading by Bebbington.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCI1tCH ... o&index=11