Rattle LSO Christ on the Mount of Olives

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Philip M

Rattle LSO Christ on the Mount of Olives

Post by Philip M » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:35 pm

At least I can now claim to be one of the few people who have heard Beethoven’s Christ on theMount of Olives live, having been at last night’s Barbican LSO concert under Sir Simon Rattle. But it is a rather empty claim as its rarity is entirely justified. The excellent performance could not hide the paucity of the quality of the music. Goodness knows why Simon thinks it is worth the effort to take it on a European tour.

Pavol Breslik was the tenor pick of the soloists. Elsa Dreisig was rather too lightweight as the soprano, whilst poor David Soar, the bass, had only a few crumbs. The chorus had the bulk of the choral contributions and, as usual, had been superbly trained by Simon Halsey.

The first half of the concert made the trip worthwhile, a wonderful performance of Berg’s Violin Concerto by Lisa Batiashvili. In my view this and the Sibelius are the finest violin concertos of the last century, followed by Shostakovich 1, Elgar, Prokofiev 2, Bartok 2 and Britten.

Batiashvili was a regular at CBSO when Sakari Oramo was at the helm but I have not heard her live since he left a dozen years ago. She has a lovely tone and understands the architecture of this amazing piece. The introduction of the Bach chorale theme was breathtaking.

The concert was broadcast live by Radio 3 and is available for the next 4 weeks on the BBC website. Don’t blame me if you don’t make it all the way through the Beethoven. But do listen to the Betg.

Philip

Rach3

Re: Rattle LSO Christ on the Mount of Olives

Post by Rach3 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Thanks.Largely agree with your assessments of violin concertos,although would add the Barber and Adams , and substitute Prok #1 for #2.

Rach3

Re: Rattle LSO Christ on the Mount of Olives

Post by Rach3 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 pm

Other 20th Century violin concertos worth hearing , IMHO, those of Roberto Gerhard, Rautavaara,Martinu,and Ben Haim.I'm looking forward to hearing the BBCR3 Barbican Berg tomorrow.