Sandro Russo, Pianist at Klavierhaus - New York

Have you been to a concert somewhere in the world recently? Share your thoughts with us about the performance, the more details the better!

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Donald Isler

Sandro Russo, Pianist at Klavierhaus - New York

Post by Donald Isler » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:30 pm

Sandro Russo, Pianist
Klavierhaus - New York
Sunday June 5th, 2022

Liszt: The Twelve Transcendental Etudes

One approaches hearing a performance of the Liszt Transcendental Etudes anticipating that one might hear a lot of flash and bravura. But what instead impressed me about this evening's program, given by pianist Sandro Russo, was the high quality of the music, because of the fine, musicianly qualities of the pianist. Mr. Russo rarely "puts the pedal to the metal" yet displays plenty of technique and power. And certain things he handles so well, one only thinks about them afterwards. Rubato, for example. He sometimes used plenty of it but it always "worked" because he understands this music so well.

Some highlights of the program for this listener (who watched it on the livestream):

In Mazeppa - the beauty and spaciousness of the B-Flat theme after the powerful opening section.

In Feux Follets - the delicacy and shimmering of the main material, and later the delicious ending.

In Visions - the somber quality and intensity.

In Wilde Jagd - the savageness of the mood (but not the tone!) of the main theme.

Ricordanza was evocative. The first theme was noble, and the beautiful ornamentation and filigree passagework were deftly played.

In Harmonies du Soir the introduction was gorgeously played, and Mr. Russo later showed his sensitivity to tonal color in modulations, especially in the coda.

Afterwards, Mr. Russo was interviewed by host Joe Patrych. They discussed the possibility of rearranging the order of the etudes in performance, and of combining the entire 65 minute set of etudes with other works on a program. Apparently Lazar Berman used to play the Schumann First Sonata on the first half of a program, and the Etudes on the second; quite a feat!

I believe this very fine program will soon be viewable again on the Klavierhaus YouTube channel.

Donald Isler
Donald Isler

Ricordanza

Re: Sandro Russo, Pianist at Klavierhaus - New York

Post by Ricordanza » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:41 am

Donald Isler wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:30 pm
I believe this very fine program will soon be viewable again on the Klavierhaus YouTube channel.
Based on your review, I certainly hope this will be available for viewing.